• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

SNAKE ID PLEASE

skullbiker

Extreme Member
I came across the first wild life at my new place. Somebody may know what this is, I personally am not a snake guy. This is in central Florida.

CAFE6DE5-A92F-4FB4-835B-41E9D40926AC.jpeg

7FCBBC90-F85A-41FD-AE71-4160C2BCB3D2.jpeg

Almost stepped on this guy one year.
MqTvkc3.jpg

Copper Head....sure fire way to tell is the pit in front of the eye and the eye is a slit pupil. The are a pit viper.
266d0c2e937a41d8a28b3af5fdb2f219.jpg

Corn snake...harmless...Round pupil and no pit. Head is shaped different too.
Corn%20Snake%20248889061.jpg

skullbiker said:
I came across the first wild life at my new place. Somebody may know what this is, I personally am not a snake guy. This is in central Florida.

attachicon.gif
CAFE6DE5-A92F-4FB4-835B-41E9D40926AC.jpeg

attachicon.gif
7FCBBC90-F85A-41FD-AE71-4160C2BCB3D2.jpeg

I freakin' HATE snakes.  I don't care if there are good guys.  They just creep me out and  are EVERYWHERE down there.

Here's your links to ID Florida snakes.  The first one is a YES/NO series of questions that give you a probable answer and photo.  The second link is a visual guide to commonly seen species.  Funny how they don't include Burmese Pythons.   :rolleyes:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/identification/

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/visual-id/#

It's most certainly a red rat snake.  It will have a black and white checkerboard on its underside.
One of the most docile snakes one could ever encounter.  Will not typically bite, even if cornered and/or handled.  Not that it would hurt, even if they did bite.  They have no real teeth, so to speak.

It looks like it has scoliosis.  Saw that crooked spine thing on only one other snake in my life, and it was on death's door.

Hi SB..I see you're on the move.
.hope your have a smooth transition to your new abode...a more pepper friendly environment for you to grow,

Were you were you able to bring your plants along..hope so.
Keep an eye out for those snakes/gators etc.Enjoy. ;)

wiriwiri said:
Hi SB..I see you're on the move.
.hope your have a smooth transition to your new abode...a more pepper friendly environment for you to grow,

Were you were you able to bring your plants along..hope so.
Keep an eye out for those snakes/gators etc.Enjoy. ;)
Back in Minnesota today to begin staging the second load to go down. The plants are still here in MN. Not sure at this time if there will be room to move them down, I may trim some selected ones back(overwinter style). Only saw the one snake so far.

Back