• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse So I forgot some chillies in the corner of my tiny greenhouse...

...and i pulled them out today. they were left in the tiny cottage cheese cups they were sown in, 6 per cup... the variety is piri piri, from my saved seeds.
this is what they grew into:

7m05EfO.jpg

this is what the root zone looks like (if you can call it that)

S5VFk3r.jpg

to my surprise, not only are they alive and well, one is flowering AND fruiting already   :shocked: all of my other peppers have barely flowered and started to set fruit.

CTEPsfT.jpg

second cup

U3OUohT.jpg

together. i had to put the watering bucket behind them to lean on, the first cup can't stand on it's own, it was leaning on the greenhouse wall inside

v5tvusu.jpg

aaanyhow, they had a tray under the cups, which i didn't bother to empty, and i water everything either with a nozzle or with the bucket and spray attachment, so they were mostly swimming in there. accidental hydro i guess :D  :crazy:

I've never seen anything like that :surprised:, def a first considering their circumstances.

I'm guessing they were given nutes with their accidental waterings?

lol.

yeah when i watered with the bucket i would add nutrients of course. there are a bunch of other small plants (not peppers) in that greenhouse, and it's so small it's easier to just douse everything. only peppers had trays and the rest of the stuff doesn't...
i had a similar situation with some scotch bonnets earlier in the season, but i transplanted them because i felt sorry. should have left them like that, i think they would've done better  :whistle: like Pepperhead says :D
here are scotch bonnets before transplanting
2RCPYvC.jpg

i'm not going to transplant these and see what happens to them. 

piri piri was one of my first chiles when i started growing again after many years of not being able to have a garden

they are a tough species and can adapt to many conditions however this was extreme

they really wanted to live . great job!+1

now i can imagine they will take off like mad now that your getting them out of that small cup

thanks your friend joe

thanks for the support guys :) i'll keep you updated on these freaks.
ajijoe,i'm not going to transplant them, i'll let them do their thing like this :) i transplanted those scotch bonnets in the picture in my previous post, but they didn't like it much. i'm really interested in how many fruits i can get from these piri piri. they really are tough as nails, real survivors!

ZenPepper, the fertilizer is nothing special, a water soluble fert available in every agro shop here. but it works great, for my other plants too.

you should uppot - they may stunt for a couple of weeks (when all growth will be below soil level) - but will be coming back so much bigger

burndown said:
thanks for the support guys :) i'll keep you updated on these freaks.
ajijoe,i'm not going to transplant them, i'll let them do their thing like this :) i transplanted those scotch bonnets in the picture in my previous post, but they didn't like it much. i'm really interested in how many fruits i can get from these piri piri. they really are tough as nails, real survivors!

ZenPepper, the fertilizer is nothing special, a water soluble fert available in every agro shop here. but it works great, for my other plants too.
i would just stick the whole pot in the ground and let the roots flow out the bottom drain holes into the soil, this way your not upsetting the root structure, that would be better for the plants
i kinda feel that even though nothing bad has happened doesn't mean it wont, if feel that eventually the confined space and the depletion of nutrients is going to be a factor,the fact there is more than one plant is my cause for concern
thanks your friend Joe

Back