• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

So I Need to Grow a Lime Tree

I had one before, but I got rid of it to place a chicken coop in. Lol I don't even have chickens anymore. The darn tree wouldn't produce much limes anyways. That's part of the reason I got rid of it too.

Well, today I went to the grocery store, and the darn limes are costing an arm and a leg. Even tho the prices must come down eventually, I cannot let the stores control the prices of my necessities. That's the reason for this thread, I guess.

Can anyone recommend a great producing lime tree with minimal seeds and great juice production? Not those dry, hard to squeeze for a few drops... I mean juicy juicy limes.

Thanks I advance.

You`ve probably only got the choice of Persian Limes, Key Limes or Kaffir Limes. Persian is also known as Bearss Limes and they are what you get at the store. Key Limes are also known as Mexican Limes and are 1/3rd the size of Persian Limes, but very juicy and I think they taste bette. You may get those at the store, too. Kaffir Limes are used a lot in Thai cooking and are probably not worth growing for juice.

Buy as big of a tree as you can afford, obviously!

Nigel said:
You`ve probably only got the choice of Persian Limes, Key Limes or Kaffir Limes. Persian is also known as Bearss Limes and they are what you get at the store. Key Limes are also known as Mexican Limes and are 1/3rd the size of Persian Limes, but very juicy and I think they taste bette. You may get those at the store, too. Kaffir Limes are used a lot in Thai cooking and are probably not worth growing for juice.

Buy as big of a tree as you can afford, obviously!
sounds like id like to get the Persian type then...  i thought there were hundreds of different types to choose from...  

mx5inpa said:
Limes breed true so buy whatever kind you like and plant the seeds.
how long would the seed take to produce an actual lime?  also, i don't remember ever having a seed in the limes i buy at the store

On the news the other day they said limes were going way way up in price do to a ridiculously low harvest so far.  I haven't noticed it here yet.

Jamison said:
On the news the other day they said limes were going way way up in price do to a ridiculously low harvest so far.  I haven't noticed it here yet.

Spoke with the owner of the market today, he said the price was $100 for a box last week...  now it's just $50...  

But Fk that...  I can't let some stupid Cartel determine my lime purchases.  4 freakin limes cost me $4.  

mx5inpa said:
Limes breed true so buy whatever kind you like and plant the seeds.
Are you sure about this? Most citrus will cross pollinate very easily and the seed, even when pollinated with the same variety, has the tendency to revert to a wild type.

Not saying you are wrong. Mexican limes are pretty close to what I would call a wild citrus anyway so it is worth a shot. I had a wild tree in the backyard of a house we rented a few years ago. Made delicious fruit, sour with a hint of bitterness and a nice floral scent from the rind. Tree was covered with really long sharp thorns, which made harvesting a bit of an adventure.

my lime tree at our phx home did not produce for the last 7 yrs... i asked and water + acidic plant fertilizer worked this year .. it had blooms everywhere

Did the Mexicans have a lot of seeds? Are the fruits smaller than the size of ping pong balls?

I would say they are about equal in size to a ping pong ball. They had a decent amount of seeds in them, not sure I would call it "lots" maybe 5 or 6 in each fruit.

"According to Dr. Carl Campbell at the University of Florida Extension research center, almost any sweet orange will come true from seed, as well as key limes, grapefruit, tangerine and tangelo. Two varieties that will not come true from seed are the temple orange and pomelo (Grapefruit grandfather). Meyer lemon also falls under this category."

jojo said:
sounds like id like to get the Persian type then...  i thought there were hundreds of different types to choose from...  

how long would the seed take to produce an actual lime?  also, i don't remember ever having a seed in the limes i buy at the store

From seed to new tree fruit?  Around 2-3 years.  It's a long term project.

Back