So, I'm a Hot Pepper Mavrick

But is it, nothing uncommon, beginners luck or traipsing on the fringe of disaster.
As a new cultivator of ultra hots this year, from seed I have grown several plants. 5 of which have found themselves in 3 gallon growers pots and doing very well, thank you. the remaining 8 were transplanted only once from the solo cups they germinated in to 1 gallon growers pots. the Naga vipers, Bhut jolokias, Carolina reapers and the B T trinidads are green,stout, healthy looking and flowering like nuts. I add ferts once a week or two. hit them with Epsom salts once so far 2 weeks ago and water them when they are no longer moist a fingers depth into the pot. I know they would do better in 3 gallon pots but I have yet to place my order for more of them.

And I like to push the limits and find out just how far they can be safely pushed.

I have contimplated removing the primary lower leaves to encourage branching on a few but cannot decide whether much benefit would come of it with little over a month of growing season left.

Recommendations??? I am sure I could post pics if nec.  Thx

I have a small bhut plant growing in I think a half gallon or so pot, and it's short but has put out a lot of pods for its size.  Small pods, inch and half, 2 inches, but a lot.

I was going to post some pics but because I am not an extreme member, I couldnt. unless I used a special site to upload from.
I have no interest in doing that.

my Butch T is just under 12". its that tallest and most laiden w/flowers.

Put them up into the reusable eco shopping bags like so many others do, They are cheap and work well, and did I mention they are cheap?

No reason to order larger containers when they are waiting for you at the nearest grocery/box store for a buck or less a piece.  

Nightshade, Yes, I am planning on overwintering some plants and I am also planning to keep several producing all winteer long if they will cooperate.

PepperDaddler,  How do I upload a .jpg from my file folder directly to a posting?

I see what you are refering to.
A search for topics for posting.
I thought you were refering to a search button that opens a directory system of my computer for file selection to upload.

Here is what they are trying to direct you to:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/14109-posting-pictures/?hl=%2Bposting+%2Bpictures+%2Bguide

I don't know if you are using photobucket or anything but another way I use is to right click on the image and choose properties. Highlight and copy the file name (ending in .jpg).

Click the little picture icon in the reply box you are typing into right now. Paste the file name and click OK.

And you should get one of these:

the little picture icon I think you are refering to @ 7oclock from the smiley face and to the left of <> requires an URL, not a file. lest I didnt understand (picture icon).

will take a look at photobucket, dont like 3rd party programs to do what you should be able to do directly from forum.

Well I did more to try and help than any of the other posters.

I only know of using photobucket other than ripping pics from google images. I agree it should be easier though.

Test

Immature B T Trinidad scorpions 

20130827_174729.jpg

There is no benefit to removing the lower leaves so late in the season, although it is arguable whether there is ever a benefit unless your primary environmental problem is strong wind and so you want a compact/bushier shape.  Right now the plant needs all the energy it can get from those leaves to finish up the pods it is already growing, new shoots at the bottom have no chance of bearing mature pods by your first hard frost.  Actually if you get any new shoots in the future I would instead advise picking the blooms off so the plant isn't wasting energy on pods it can't bring to term, instead using the energy to finish up what it already has growing.

On the other hand you can bring the plants inside to finish up once the weather gets colder if you don't mind risking bringing bugs in with them... white flies and aphids commonly ride along and are happy to be inside without any natural predators where they can flourish. For that reason I usually first move plants to the garage where it stays cold enough to drastically decrease insect activity (reproduction) but not cold enough to kill the plant, THEN if they look free of pests they come inside the house.

The best thing you can do next season is use pots larger than 3 gallons.   Cloth shopping bags are cheap or there's always scavenging for 5 gallon buckets if you don't want to invest money in them, or of course planting them in the ground if you have a spot with good sun.   :P

Back