• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds So, would 114 degrees slow germination?

That is a smartass question and I would kick myself if I could.

I have tried to germinate various seeds since February and did okay with a few varieties. My superhots for the most part failed, I put seeds in ziplocks in late February and more in Burpee super pellets or whatever the hell they are called in early March, and nothing, not one single seed sprouted in 5 weeks +/-.

So tonight, even though I am way late and this may be a futile attempt to germinate and ultimately waste seeds I decided I would try the paper towel method again, this time in pyrex baking dishes with clear lids. I put at least two of every seed I have on the towels, and I think smokemaster sent 50+ varieties but what the hell.

I put them on the pyrex dishes on the heating pad and started reading the forums for grins and information. I remembered that there was an outdoor thermometer screwed to the front window so I ripped it off the wall, I think it said 45 degrees and that is pretty close tonight, about 70 degrees inside and it shot up to 90 degree under the faucet.

I laid it face down with the bulb touching the heating pad and came back to read. I checked it a few minutes ago and it was 114 degrees...I am such a dumbass, I should have monitored the temperature a long time ago.

Here is the kicker, the pad is L - 1 -2 - 3 - 4 - H, and it was on 4, and I know I experimented with all temps. I guess I got lucky and germinated some seeds between L and 2.

If I can get seedlings germinated in the next 10-14 days through the July and August heat, could I get some fruit by mid-October?

I don't know where you live, but I live near Amarillo, TX and started germinating May 1st in last year's season. I had a shitty May and June under a bad 23 watt CFL with 4 plants. July they were put outside (they would have been out earlier, but I was in Europe) and were still very small. The two Serranos had fruit by the end of July and the Hot Paper Lantern had fruit by the end of August.

Of course the they had 14.5 hours of direct sunlight in early July and that really helped get them going. So if you have good sunlight and conditions, you should be good to go.

I read a dissertation on this, where they compared the germination rate on different vegetables on different temperatures, its quite interesting. If you cant be bothered reading it ill sum it up for you. They had the highest germination rate(%) at around 85f, the fastest germination occurred on 95f but then they had lower then a 50% total germination rate. On degrees over that (104 and above) the germination rate was so low that it couldn't be calculated accurately.

It can be read here: www.imok.ufl.edu/veghort/docs/trans_temp.pdf

And as for your question, like previous poster is saying, you'll cook em!

I read posts from those with heating pads and from newbies who have germination questions. The best thing to do if you are having germination problems is to check the temperature with a calibrated instrument.

I'm quite sure that you are not the only one who doesn't have any idea what the germination temperatures are.

Agreed!

I need to pick up a quality thermometer today, my schedule is tough with all day meetings. I checked this morning and the temperature inside the Pyrex on the seeds was 92 degrees. When I go home for lunch I am going to put a towel between the pad and Pyrex to lower the temps some more.

I sure think this is the cause of my poor germination and probably killed my seedlings that did sprout.

OK, I put two dish towels between the Pyrex and the pad and before I headed back to work I checked the temperature, 86 degree's +/- so all is good for the time being.

I hope I get some more sprouts, they will all go into Dixie cups and straight outside to take advantage of the mild temperatures and good light.

Oh yeah!!!

A few seeds had germinated after two days, quite a few more this morning so I have to say I flat cooked my seeds.

I will post a picture later.....SV

Back