• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Soak seeds for all types of peppers? Pics inside.

Hey all.

I've received some great advice so far on pepper plants, but I just got my seeds order in from Hellhotpeppers.com and am a first time grower from seed as well. Here's what has arrived:

kdEi0rw.jpg

Purple Jalapeno
Numex Twilight
Mini Yellow Bell
Thai Hot
Peter Pepper
Monster Cayenne
Pumpkin Peppper

The order came with very detailed instructions on sowing and germination, but a couple things stood out a little bit to me. There was no mention of soaking the seeds the night before, which I usually hear people saying its a must in order to speed germination. I just wanted to see if soaking the seeds benefits the difference in variety I have here.

The instructions also seemed to point out that the most important thing when germinating is to monitor the soil temperature with a thermometer.

I looking to germinate with my Jiffy seed starter mix in a warm and humid South Florida garage using a couple of these bad boys I picked up for $5 ea:

pX0CXCB.jpg

That's the plan thus far. Sorry my thread seems a bit obsessive but I appreciate the attention to detail that a lot of members like to follow here. :P

Advice and opinions welcome and thanks for reading.

Edit: spelling ect.

Seed soaking is not completely necessary. Some people prefer it and some dont bother or say it makes a difference.
I personally soak my seeds to soften them a bit. I use room temp tap water that has been sitting for a day. Your getminating plan sounds like a winner.

Seed soaking is not completely necessary. Some people prefer it and some dont bother or say it makes a difference.
I personally soak my seeds to soften them a bit. I use room temp tap water that has been sitting for a day. Your getminating plan sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the input.

No need to soak I found that the best thing to do is let them do their thing put them in the soil and make sure the soil is warm

Interesting.

I soaked my seeds last year but I didn't this year, and my seeds actually popped faster this year without the soaking.

It's really up to you, but it's definitely not a must do

I soak mine overnight in water which has 1 1/2 teaspoons of peroxide per cup. I've not soaked and did good too. I don't use a cover on my trays. I use a heat mat with a thermostat set to 77 deg. Rarely does any pepper take over a week to germ. Even the tough ones. Scorps, 7 pots, etc. Using the small seed trays like pictured expect to transplant soon.

Personal preference is the order of the day here ... personally I do soak my seeds in dilute chamomile tea for up to 20-24hrs before planting in jiffy pellets in a 27-30 degree Celcius humid environment.
Not necessarily the right way but my way which works for me

IMO,seed quality is the most important thing when germinating. Some folks use chamomille tea or salt peter to weaken the seed casing.I personally soak in a dilluted peroxide for pathogens,and sometimes with alittle superthrive too. Keeping the seeds moist and at the proper temps (77-84 F) will give you a higher germ %.

As Prodigal said above and also chamomile tea has an additional benefit of also having anti-fungal properties.

Many people use both stand alone thermometers and heat mats with built in thermostats ... depends entirely on your setup.

I did a recent experiment with Chiltepin seeds and found that a pre-soak of the seeds did not affect the germination rate (using hydrocubes). However, I agree with others that soaking them for a bit in water with a bit of hydrogen peroxide helps clean the seeds.

Seeing that you live in Florida, I personally feel that you won't need a thermometer at this time of the year. As long as the soil is above 75 degrees, you should be fine. I don't use a soil thermometer. Just make sure that when you initially wet your soil that you use lukewarm water rather than cold or hot.

I did a recent experiment with Chiltepin seeds and found that a pre-soak of the seeds did not affect the germination rate (using hydrocubes). However, I agree with others that soaking them for a bit in water with a bit of hydrogen peroxide helps clean the seeds.

Seeing that you live in Florida, I personally feel that you won't need a thermometer at this time of the year. As long as the soil is above 75 degrees, you should be fine. I don't use a soil thermometer. Just make sure that when you initially wet your soil that you use lukewarm water rather than cold or hot.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I plan on using filtered water and let it sit out to get room temp or warm.

Don't worry too much about this.

I mean peppers struggle for life when they are still in seeds (after they become a little more lazy towards life ...). So just put them into soil and keep moisture high. Some will sprout fast and grow fast. Some other won't. Don't bother too much about those who don't sprout very well : select those who won the first race of life.

I didn't soak and everything popped up except the Jamaican Hot Chocolates but I received word from my supplier that I was not the only one, those seeds didn't pop for anyone.

Back