• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Soaking Reapers & Scorpions in White Vinegar

I sliced up a bunch of Reapers and Scorpions (100's of them), put them in glass jars (large GT's Kombucha bottles), poured hot white vinegar into the bottles, and screwed the caps back on. My intention is to let the peppers pickle for a while then blend them up into some super hot sauce. I have never made a serious batch of hot sauce so I'm kind of winging it. 

Three questions for the community: 
1) what do you think about this idea?
2) how long should I let them sit in the jars before blending? 
3) should i store the jars in the refrigerator? 

thanks

Attachments

• soakingpeps.jpg
    soakingpeps.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 115
So I'm no food scientist so I'm not qualified to give advice. I can just tell you my own experience.

I've put cut peppers in straight cold vinegar several times and they just pickle and keep for a very long time. The pH of white distilled vinegar is around 2.5 so I don't think any bad stuff can survive that. If a shelf stable sauce is to be pH4 or lower, you can dilute as DF suggests and as long as the pH remains below 4h you should be fine. Note that pH is a log scale so if you take pH2.5 vinegar and dilute it with an equal amount of water, your ending pH is going to be something around 2.6-2.7. Note that your peppers contain water so you don't want to have a vinegar solution with a pH of 4 and add peppers to it as your resulting mix will have a pH greater than 4.

Having a pH meter, for fun I tested a bunch of different vinegars I have at home. They ranged from pH2.5 to pH3.5 so not all vinegars are created equal.

Also, boiling vinegar for extended periods of time may not be a good idea as acetic acid boils off at a faster rate than water. So the longer you boil, the higher the pH gets.

Back