• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum Soapy Baccatum Taste

Since it was mentioned in the "favorite Baccatums" thread I thought we could discuss this here rather than derailing that thread.

How many of you have experienced the "soapy" flavor in baccatums?  And if so, was it limited to certain varieties, or kind of across the board?  I have noticed it in Aji Amarillo, Aji Crystal, Aji Pineapple, and Lemon Drop.  I have also had those same peppers where it didn't have the soapy taste.  It seems a little more common in the yellow varieties than the other colors.  I had 6 other Baccatums growing last year that I didn't get peppers from, so I don't have a very large sample to compare.

Thoughts?

I have pineapples growing this year for the first time so I will let you know once they fruit and my bishops crowns are delicious , no soapy taste at all. I'm also growing one Brazilian Starfish that I've heard is another outstanding tasting pepper.

haven't noticed a soapy taste from omni color, limon, pineapple, champion, bolsa de dulce , haven't had a ripe amarillo yet. I did kind of notice one in the criolla sella but not enough for me to go ewww this tastes like soap

What you describe as "soapy" I describe as an "old lady lipstick" type of flavor, when it comes to Lemon Drop. But I've never had that with Aji Habanero nor Aji Cristal. Ahi Habaneros end up yellow with an orange tint. Aji Cristal ends up red. I will say that overall I tend to prefer the flavor of reds over oranges and yellows, but I love the flavor of Aji Habanero - it most reminds me of oranges, which I am now allergic to.

That said, a number of chinense types have an ammonia-like after-taste to me. But, like the baccatuums, this is not true of all of them.

I don't think it has anything to do with variety.
I think it is growing conditions.
My winter/fall/sprinf pods from the same plant taste great,but the summer ones taste soapy from the same plant.
Heat and less moisture I I think are the key.

Baccatums from most places of origin are from cooler summer time temps. +/-.
Baccatums for me do best in winter/early spring and fall.
I can see people with short or a limited season as being screwed.
Baccatums take FOREVER to ripen and a place with a winter -unlike where I live,can't deal with them.

Like Pubescens,they bud up,ripen and taste the best in the same time period as Baccatums.
Both pretty much are from the same countries (more or less).Possibly the same type of climates etc.

I grow Baccatums and Pubescens but start them in oct./Nov. for an early spring harvest.
I try and beat the heat...

Try shade cloth and more water in places you can't grow early and your season is short.

I agree with Smokemaster on conditions being very influential on the soap/perfume taste.   Weather, soil, and temps change a lot about pods.

I grew Brazilian Starfish one year, three big plants absolutely loaded with pods that were too funky tasting for me to eat.

Mixed results with other baccatums over the last 5 years.     This year I'm having good luck with taste on the 3 varieties I have.   

MisterBigglesworth said:
I agree with Smokemaster on conditions being very influential on the soap/perfume taste.   Weather, soil, and temps change a lot about pods.

I grew Brazilian Starfish one year, three big plants absolutely loaded with pods that were too funky tasting for me to eat.

Mixed results with other baccatums over the last 5 years.     This year I'm having good luck with taste on the 3 varieties I have.   
I agree with you Y'all on weather ;soil conditions etc but I tried to grow pineapple rocoto just didn't happen Queen Laurie is not setting pods for me like the others so variety as a play there very well maybe a rocoto that will work here.
I think queen Laurie needs more time to grow a lot of factors as been mention go into the flavor the same with tomatoes

I did see a few Bacc. having the same taste summer or whenever.
I agree some don't get soapy.Heat or not - growing conditions...

As posted Red Drops and Aji habanero , ear bob and a few others took the heat of summer very well.
Not all Baccarums are the same.
My above post was a generality of seeds I grew out from the source of origin,Peru,Bolivia etc.
I think they are into a long cooler,moister season than some growers can deal with.

I do think that a few are better suited to a shorter season.Not the norm.
I did  get the 3  mentioned above to set pods that tasted great year round when I grew them.
Inca red drop,Aji habanero and ear bob.

smokemaster said:
I did see a few Bacc. having the same taste summer or whenever.
I agree some don't get soapy.Heat or not - growing conditions...

As posted Red Drops and Aji habanero , ear bob and a few others took the heat of summer very well.
Not all Baccarums are the same.
My above post was a generality of seeds I grew out from the source of origin,Peru,Bolivia etc.
I think they are into a long cooler,moister season than some growers can deal with.

I do think that a few are better suited to a shorter season.Not the norm.
I did  get the 3  mentioned above to set pods that tasted great year round when I grew them.
Inca red drop,Aji habanero and ear bob.
rock n roll

I experienced a soapy aftertaste with the Aji Hot Lemon last year, wasnt a fan even though they produced like crazy.  This year growing Aji Hab, Cito, Melacoton, and a couple others. 

So far the Omnicolor no aftertaste and very enjoyable burn, also the Aji Cito is great but not as hot as I expected?  The Omnicolor has more heat than the Cito for some reason?  

They're the only two ripe so far so cant comment on the others till then. 

I noticed the description of sugar rush peach at https://www.semillas.de/

"The small plants produce loads of thin walled peach colored pods with a unique flavor. Crude C. baccatum do not taste well, so the pods must be dried or cooked to develope the excellent flavour"

Any thoughts on that statement?

"… Crude C. baccatum do not taste well, so the pods must be dried or cooked to develope the excellent flavour"

That has been the opposite of my experience this year. CAP 455 and Ají Fantasy Orange have been my favorite fresh use peppers, this year, and I feel that fresh or pickled is a great way to enjoy their ephemeral, floral character.

I need to try them sauced and cooked, maybe that’s even better, but they certainly don’t taste bad raw!

Last edited:

"The small plants produce loads of thin walled peach colored pods with a unique flavor. Crude C. baccatum do not taste well, so the pods must be dried or cooked to develope the excellent flavour"

I disagree with that statement! SRP are tasting awesome, raw or powdered, IMO! Same for Aji Fantasy white and a few others. Unfortyunately some of the most famous C. baccatum do taste soapy as fuck to me (Aji pineapple, lemon, etc.)...

Last edited:
As you say @Bou, some C. baccatum do taste soapy AF. The part I wonder about is "...Crude C. baccatum do not taste well, so the pods must be dried or cooked to develope the excellent flavour".

Does anybody have firsthand experience with this?

This is the strangest statement ever! Im not a big fan of the flavor of baccatum, but god damn the sugar rush peach (and peppapeach) is an exception. Probably one of the best tasting peppers out there if you ask me! I haven't even thought of drying them, since they taste so good fresh

Back