• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum Soapy Baccatum Taste

Its interesting that so many of you describe the baccatum flavor as soapy. Im not a big fan of baccatums, because to me they taste "grassy". I wonder if that is the same flavor you are talking about, but experienced differently by my tastebuds.

SRP / Peppapeach and Aji fantasy white are the only ones that I've tasted that didn't have that flavor, same as Bou! I guess maybe also the Brazilian Starfish, but its been a few years since last time I grew that so I can't say for sure.

Reactions: Bou
Curious… those of you who get the “soapy” taste, how do you feel about cilantro? (I think it’s great but many say there’s a soapy taste to that) - it’s genetic https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people

It may be that some are more or less fortunate than others in the taste/smell game.
@BDP As I wrote in a previous post I do get that mf "soapy" taste with most C. baccatum but I love cilantro. Since they both taste very different to me I can't see any correlation between the two 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: BDP
@BDP As I wrote in a previous post I do get that mf "soapy" taste with most C. baccatum but I love cilantro. Since they both taste very different to me I can't see any correlation between the two 🤷‍♂️
I must have missed that line before… my first aji limon just sprouted yesterday - I’ve never tasted baccatum that I know of. - but it looks pretty and I was told they’re citrus-like. I’ll weigh-in in 6 months!

Reactions: Bou
I must have missed that line before… my first aji limon just sprouted yesterday - I’ve never tasted baccatum that I know of. - but it looks pretty and I was told they’re citrus-like. I’ll weigh-in in 6 months!
I will be harvesting a few baccatum varieties that I have never tried yet in less than a month so I will report back. Good luck with your grow🤘

I will be harvesting a few baccatum varieties that I have never tried yet in less than a month so I will report back. Good luck with your grow🤘
Awesome! Let us know! …and thanks for the well wishes. This is my first time trying to really grow indoors beyond a few weeks of pre-spring prepping! - be sure to check my glog! It’s almost guaranteed to be the least-organized, slow-motion trainwreck ever shared on this site!

I doubt it would be the same specific thing (i.e. the specific gene), but I can't help but wonder if it's a similar matter of it being a genetic difference. Cilantro, asparagus - wouldn't be the only one.

I found bags of frozen aji Amarillo at a Mexican grocery yesterday. They also had frozen rocoto. I passed on the rocoto and bought the aji Amarillo.

An exciting find for the Midwest. This should save me time and money compared to growing them myself. I’m excited to try these - they seem to be the quintessential baccatum pepper.

I suppose I will try them raw, and if there is a soapy flavor - I will cook them and compare the flavor.

https://www.goya.com/en/products/frozen-ingredients/andean-specialties

Last edited:
Tasted the aji Amarillo last night. Pepper was larger and thicker walled than I expected. Flavor was good, sweet, fruity, simple. Didn’t get any soapy flavor at all with it. It was good by itself and good tossed in with a bowl of food.

The bag was marked PRODUCT OF PERU. Others have speculated that the soapy flavor might be from suboptimal climate for growing these varieties.

Flavor was good but not particularly distinctive. Flavor would not dominate the dish the way a chinense might.

I haven’t spoken much with any Peruvians to get a sense of how important specific peppers are in their culture. I have only been to one Peruvian restaurant. Food was good but not hot. They had two freshly made sauces that were more creamy than peppery. There was a bottle of el yucateco hot sauce on each table. The el yucateco hot sauce surprised me. The majority of the customers appeared to be Spanish speaking Peruvians.

I recently tried the following C. baccatum, here are my impressions (for what it's worth!):

- El Oro de Ecuador: Very soapy despite its marvellous aroma;
- Aji Golden: on the soapy side too;
- Aji Habanero: not soapy at all
- Erotico: maybe just a tad soapy but very little
- Bishop's Crown: I didn't taste any soapy undertones but will have to try another one as I think it may not have been totally ripe.

Ive grown many and the best tasting have been............... Not necessarily in this order because they are all very fruity. None of them ive grown have been all that hot. Ive grown jalapenos that were far hotter.

Aji Amarillo
Sugar Rush Peach
Brazilian Starfish

Last edited:
Back