• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Soapy Water Chiles

I was reading one of my numerous books about chiles the other day and came across an interesting item and wondered if anyone here had heard of or used this technique.

the theory is that when you water your plants you add a little washing detergent to your water which then produces hotter pods!

and I quote: '...they were just hot Asian chillies grown in a special way - with soapy water! The chilli plants were regularly watered with water to which a little detergent or soap had been added! This apparently increased the heat many times..."

interesting...

I 2nd that yuk with a Double Yuk! :banghead:

Detergent = poisen and I wouldn't want that in anything I eat. Heck even rain water with it's acid rain is bad enough for plants now days let alone other man made chemicals. Organic or can it is what I say :lol:

Ok, don't try this. First it'll kill all the benifitial bacteria in the soil and on the plants, and also introduce the plant to some NASTY chemicals....

Guys, you can get soaps that aren't toxic or antibiotic, and unless very concentrated, they won't hurt the plant. I can't figure how it would make the peppers hotter, though.

I may try it, I don't know yet. I don't see how feeding the plant detergent would harm me or effect the taste, afterall, does manure effect the flavour? (maybe that's how chocolate habs originated...) I was thinking about some mild, organic liquid dish soap, you know, the non-toxic (edible) stuff, safe for kids and all that. I do agree with IGG about the chemicals and the killing of good bacteria in the soil though. at least I wouldn't have to wash the pods when harvested :rolleyes:

chilliman64 said:
I may try it, I don't know yet. I don't see how feeding the plant detergent would harm me or effect the taste, afterall, does manure effect the flavour? (maybe that's how chocolate habs originated...) I was thinking about some mild, organic liquid dish soap, you know, the non-toxic (edible) stuff, safe for kids and all that. I do agree with IGG about the chemicals and the killing of good bacteria in the soil though. at least I would have to wash the pods when harvested :rolleyes:

Dr Bronners soaps are what we use camping ... its called Magic soaps and if you read the bottle he is quite the character... that six pack is missing a couple for sure
http://www.drbronner.com/drb_index.html

There are several viable uses for dish soap in that are helpful around the garden:

1) Dish soap acts as a wetting agent by reducing the surface tension of water, allowing it to more easily penetrate dirt. I'm sure everyone has went to water a pot that had dried out pretty good only to have the water pool up on top of the soil and run down the sides of the pot instead of soaking into the soil. If you add just a dash of dish soap the water will soak right in because of the lowered surface tension.

2) It is also useful when foliar feeding. The reduced surface tension prevents water from beading up, allowing it to evenly wet the surface of the leaves, thus increasing the efficacy of the foliar spray.

3) One more use is dish soap as an emulsifier (something that allows oil & water to mix). When applying neem oil, you mix it 1 part neem oil to 1 part dish soap before adding water, this allows you to achieve a homogenous mixture instead of the oil trying to separate back out. Also the soap prevents beading of the water in this application as well.

I believe you were talking about washing detergent, ie: for laundry. I know these used to contain phosphates (which are bad since they promote algae growth in rivers & lakes), and since phosphorus is needed in higher amounts during fruting/flowering it makes sense that they may have seen some effect from using the soap. You'd be better off using a high phosphorus supplement designed for plants to reach the desired effects though.

Back