• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil Costs

Being new to this world, to which I am now fully hooked on, for roughly 50 to 60 plants that are going into 5 gallons buckets, what would y'all expect to pay on soils? I know this will depend on he chosen mix but at what point do you step back and say "that's a bit to much..." Living in Dallas, I'm still trying to figure out where to go to get the best prices.

I run into the same thing GMDGEEK. I think pro mix is the best, 3.8 cuft compressed and expands to 7 cu ft when used. It is 30-40 bucks for the 3.8 bale.

I would suggest getting promix HP if you can, it is best for 5 gal containers. If you have good compost maybe add some to promix to get a good potting mix.

I mean, even on the cheaper stuff you are looking at around 300 bucks for that many plants. I used ProMix Organic mix and it was 5.99 for 1cu ft. You probably need 3/4cu ft for each 5 gallon bucket. So for what I bought, 300 bucks. That doesn't include fertz. I think you are going to find mixed responses to this question. If you go cheap on the soil, you will probably have a problem with poor drainage and compaction. On the other hand I've heard that some people have produced nice stuff using miracle grow soil. So IDK lol.

If money is an issue, you might want to consider cutting back on the number of plants or just planting in the ground and buying fertz.

EDIT: If I had time for more research, I probably could cut the cost of mine down. But I am only using it for starting seeds so the one bag at 5.99 wasn't bad.

Unfortunately, we in the DFW area are unable to get ProMix. This year I ended up making my own medium and so far, so good. Buying bagged soil is to expensive when you start having more than just a few plants.

-J

I know it is on the far west side for Fort Worth, but check out Silver Creek Materials...they sell a premium soil that is 40% cushion sand and 60% compost...it is pretty hot to begin with so you need to cut it with something light weight..I usually use a mixture of half of the SCM and half good potting mix...the 60/40 is $20/yd

http://www.silvercre...ucts.html#sandy

I don't know if you have something similar down there, but we have a county compost site. It's where you bring your leaves in the fall, and other yard waste like brush or whatever. They sell really nice rich black compost for 7 or 8 bucks a yard. I mostly grow in the ground or raised beds, but I'm sure it would be good in a potting mix as well.

I'm probably going to do more plants in the ground this year just because of the cost of potting soil, save a few I plan on taking with me when I leave. The county does have a composting program here, but it's all claimed by the university as we have a strong Agriculture program. I can't even get coffee grounds at about half the coffee shops in towns because they all have arrangements with the university... :rolleyes:

I made my own last year, but the cost still adds up. It's difficult to find perlite in bulk, and any nutes or other amendments you add tend to be expensive. Still cheaper than buying the premade (especially if you can get things on sale), but possibly less consistent and still pricey.

Call your local nurseries and ask them where they get their potting soil, I had 18yards dropped off for $280 and they split it between my neighbor and me.
IMG_0117.jpg

My goal is around $3.50 per 5 gallon. I'm sure its possible, just a matter of finding the right mix.

My mix costs 3.50 a cuft=7.5 gal.

90% peat balanced with lime

10% perlite

Few handfulls of Miracle gro potting mix per 10 gal batch I make.

I had sort of the same thing last year Capsicum, except maybe with a bit more perlite and included some compost in the mix. Fortunately, peat moss is cheap, usually about $9-10 for a 3.8 cubic foot bale when it isn't on sale. I wasn't very precise or uniform in my mixes- the healthiest looking roots at the end of the season were in mixes a bit heavier on the perlite- which again, maybe different where you live, but it's impossible to find in bulk around here.

@ AJ - good potting mix, would that be like miracle grow?

Thanks everyone... next year I think I'll be able to do a three soil order with two buddies in the area.

GMDGEEK, I'm in the same boat as you are. Pro mix is next to impossible to get around here now and I'm not about to order it online. Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are at the nursery across the street but I'm not going to pay several hundred dollars to fill 30 to 40 3 gallon pots. I'm going with my own concoction of peat moss, lobster compost (from Coast of Main), perlite and fertilizing as needed. Hope all works out great for you!!!

meinchoh, I thought about ordering online until I saw the shipping cost... it seemed most places were charging anywhere from 30-70 for shipping. my response to that, mix my own! My plants have been in my self made mix for some time now and are doing great.. I'll very likely use the same mix next year with minor tweaks.. it cost me far less than it would have to buy nothing but fox farm or promix online.

-J

I had sort of the same thing last year Capsicum, except maybe with a bit more perlite and included some compost in the mix. Fortunately, peat moss is cheap, usually about $9-10 for a 3.8 cubic foot bale when it isn't on sale. I wasn't very precise or uniform in my mixes- the healthiest looking roots at the end of the season were in mixes a bit heavier on the perlite- which again, maybe different where you live, but it's impossible to find in bulk around here.

Yup, this year my radishes in the mix is used most of my mix and just a handfull of miracle gro potting mix, are doing better then the ones in mostly miracle gro potting mix. I think it becasue my mix dries out quiker. Yea 10% perlite seems low but it works.

Perlite ends up being the most expensive item in the mix since I haven't been able to find it in bulk around here. I'll double check the local garden centers, but I did the math for a worst case scenario, and even if I bumped it up to 20% perlite I still shouldn't need to spend more than fifty dollars on my 15 buckets (I'm cutting back this year...). Granted, I'm not factoring in ferts or lime since I still have some left.

Incidentally, do you know how much lime you're supposed to use per unit volume of peat moss? I sort of guesstimated last year and the plants didn't seem to mind, but I'd rather do it right this time around...

Back