• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil for pots

I think someone told me not to use outside dirt when planning on growing inside our was it the other way around... Either way I'll just ask what should I use?

Yep, very light with lots of perlite or vermiculite to speed drainage. You don't want the roots to be waterlogged from rain. Water them until the water runs out the bottom. Make sure there are plenty of holes in the bottoms and bottom sides of your containers to facilitate such drainage.

Depends how big the pot is.  If the pot is massive then you can treat it as a raised bed and use garden soil in it.  If the pots are smaller <7-10 gallons, use a light, well draining mix.  I use a mix of both in my containers that range from 5-25 gallons with a few 3 gallons tossed in.  I like to take a big bale of peat and cut it 1:2 with garden soil/leaf compost/compost/worm castings.  Plants love this.

outdoor soil mixed with things like perlite, vermiculite, coco bark, peat, Compost can work well depends on the outdoor soil and what you mix it with and I like to wet my soil mix and heat it in the Oven to kill anything that might be in the outside soil.   Sandy loam soil is the best to work with, but if your soil has salts or other things that isn't good for the plants it could hurt the plants too.  I mix all my soil now and I think it's so much better then any store bought soil.   

Back