• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil mix for hot pepers in containers

Unfortuanlty I bought the materials before reading the very informitive post on soil medium. I bought some cheap potting soil, mixed it 50/50 with spag peat, then added vermiculite and perlite. I also added some blood and bone meal, and 5-1-1 fish fertilizer.

I'm growing bhut peppers and trinidad scprpion peppers in large containers with them, is that legit or shoudl i be added something more?

Yes I have made a mix that is much like yours. I use 2 tblsp of limestone per gal of peatmoss added. In the future do not use vermiculite it holds water. I just replanted some yellowing cayenne in a mix of potting mix/peat/very little composted horse manure/perlite/lime,hit them with some fertilizer, and they are nice and dark green and growing fast now. Your mix sounds good if you add a little lime and no need to use bone meal as it takes too long to break down and will not give you much nutrients. You should maybe use a diluted water soluble fertilizer through the grow and some source of Ca and Mg like gypsum and epsom salts or "Cal/Mag".

Right on, I have some epson salt, foiler spray or a table spoon around the soil?

I think I have some lime Ill go add some today.

Right on, I have some epson salt, foiler spray or a table spoon around the soil?

I think I have some lime Ill go add some today.

Make sure to use the lime at about 1-2 tblsp per gal of soil mix.

Use the epsom salts either sprinkled at the base or dissolved in water. Not sure how much maybe a tsp per gal of water. I used to just sprinkle a little around each plant along with gypsum too. I no longer use either because i simplified my fertilizer program into one or two dry soluble fertilizers. Maxibloom is the best, it has high amounts of secondary macro nutrients and is perfect for growing chiles, it is a stand alone all in one fertilizer. Makes things very easy. I found maxibloom thanks to this forum!! :party:

Back