• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil mix?

this is my soil-mix (haven't tested for ph)

50L - coir (1x5kg compressed block)
50L - spent potting mix
20L - compost
10L - worm castings
10L - coffee grinds
8L - perlite
4L - vermiculite
8 cups blood and bone
1 cup dolomite lime
100g - Tui Novatec Premium N–P–K 15–1.3–16.6 + 1.2 Mg + TE
this fertilizer is designed for pots
this mix is for 33L plastic planter bags

how do you think this will go ?

this is my soil-mix (haven't tested for ph)

50L - coir (1x5kg compressed block)
50L - spent potting mix
20L - compost
10L - worm castings
10L - coffee grinds
8L - perlite
4L - vermiculite
8 cups blood and bone
1 cup dolomite lime
100g - Tui Novatec Premium N–P–K 15–1.3–16.6 + 1.2 Mg + TE
this fertilizer is designed for pots
this mix is for 33L plastic planter bags

how do you think this will go ?
Looks pretty good,...maybe a little heavy on the coir,...will this be a hot house grow or an in the house grow?

Just be careful with the compost and castings when using indoors, both can become very "bug" friendly... :eek:

Hi freeble,...That would work fine and when the plants are established add a few extra handfuls of compost around the base of your plants...

Nature works wonders,...good luck with your grow

Hi freeble,...That would work fine and when the plants are established add a few extra handfuls of compost around the base of your plants...

Nature works wonders,...good luck with your grow

so do you think i should use as is or add more spent potting mix

so do you think i should use as is or add more spent potting mix

Not sure what's in your growing medium(potting mix), but here in the states the average potting mix contains peat,pearlite, vermiculite, sometimes with the better grade you get vermicompost and limestone. I generally take the spent potting soil and add it to the compost pile in the fall, You could add more of your spent soil to the mix, but the soil can be "exhausted" where it could be lacking in minerals. If you could take a ph test of your mix that would tell you if nutrients need to be added......I wouldn't worry about it, your mix sounds as good as any that I've read about ...

I would get rid of the coffee grinds since you already have dolomite no need for them and ease back on the blood and bone meal to about 2 cups since it's NPK is 4-12-0 and really won't benefit the plant until it's fruiting.

Then I would add in a couple of cups of Magnesium Sulfate as that's a crucial yet often component missed when growing peppers.

I would get rid of the coffee grinds since you already have dolomite no need for them and ease back on the blood and bone meal to about 2 cups since it's NPK is 4-12-0 and really won't benefit the plant until it's fruiting.

Then I would add in a couple of cups of Magnesium Sulfate as that's a crucial yet often component missed when growing peppers.

i used the coffee grinds to make the soil more acidic i herd chills like it about ph 5.5-6 ,the blood and bone is N-P-K 6 - 6 - 0 .
ps these i hope will keep the insects away ,and feed the baby worms all 1562 in each pot.

It looks pretty good. The metal salts from your ferts might even carry it through bloom. Sounds like a great mix.

thanks Jack Kerouac i hope so will do a ph test in a week or so once the rain works it magic on the sheep pallets i put on top today , if all good will have to mix 10x as much .

There are three types of fertilizing agents:
  • Decomposing ("hot")
  • Partly Decomposing ("semi-hot")
  • Decomposed ("cold"/"stable")

The process of natural decomposing has many by-products such as temperature and pH fluctuations. together with nutrient availability and possible stress, there are different reasons for using different fertilizers. you just mixed a whole bunch of random ingredients.

hot ones???

You'll be fine.....I too use castings, compost (well-aged), bone and blood meal, and of course pulverised egg shells and coffee grounds amongst other's....As far as the shell's and grounds go, those get turned into the soil in the fall....but I know of people who constantly scatter or top coat their soil throughout the season......just make sure you "mix the medium well" rather than layering it.
Just a note...awhile back when the B&B circus was in town we were able to get all kinds of manure...I had a seperate compost pile for that because it was late in the year, November and although it would heat up through the winter It just wasn't long enough to decompose for the Spring tilling.......So, I used it through the Summer as a top coating for the plants, my Italian neighbor would come back to Chicago for the Summer and we would have a "pole bean" contest......he would never win......Ha
good luck with your grow...

Greg

I like the benefits of compost and blood / bone, but not in my initial soil mix. Just too stick and mushy and doesn't allow the soil to breath as easy. Since I have cooler temps the plants don't seem to like being water logged. Again just my opinion because I have no idea of your weather.

I personally prefer to leave all the ferts out and just apply them during the growing process when they are needed. Instead of using raw compost I prefer to let my worm farm break it down and then brew worm tea and apply the tea via foliar feeding. I learned it's all about control so going in with an inert mix helps me control what the plant gets and how much it gets throughout the season.

I like the benefits of compost and blood / bone, but not in my initial soil mix. Just too stick and mushy and doesn't allow the soil to breath as easy. Since I have cooler temps the plants don't seem to like being water logged. Again just my opinion because I have no idea of your weather.

I personally prefer to leave all the ferts out and just apply them during the growing process when they are needed. Instead of using raw compost I prefer to let my worm farm break it down and then brew worm tea and apply the tea via foliar feeding. I learned it's all about control so going in with an inert mix helps me control what the plant gets and how much it gets throughout the season.
thank lght for the feedback
i agree, my mix looks airy ,will see soon its to cool to plant now (2 weeks should be ok),just letting it settle a bit (rain),the blood/bone/sheep pellets/coffee grinds will feed the worms .
i do use compost tea /comfrey tea/seaweed tea, as tonic/fert.the Tui Novatec Premium N–P–K 15–1.3–16.6 + 1.2 Mg + TE is only in there in case some thing is lacking it dose not leech it use nitrogen stabilising tech.
and yes i have killed by over fertilizing !!!!

Back