• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Mixture Recommendations

In about 2 weeks or so It will be time for me to finally put some of my Plants into their 5 gallon containers outside. I have a 40 lb bag of Hyponex potting soil that I will use and some Perlite I will add but I want to add some other type of soil
to them. Should I use a compost type soil or another vegetable/tomato type soil?? Something on the "not break the bank" type of soil. I also thought about adding a little sand as I have read that somewhere it was good for Chile Plants. Any recommendations would be GREAT.
Thanks
Tom

I'd recommend sand, too. You can steal it from playgrounds at night! :)

I would and will also add some "fresh" topsoil by "collecting" mole hills. If you got access to compost, a bit of that would also be good.

I use Pro-Mix primarily so I'm not a lot of help. I'm just wondering if 2 weeks is too early for SE MI. I'd recommend waiting 3 weeks at least to be safe here. I live right where you do. :)

Chris

I use sand, even in my seedling mix I use 40% cactus soil because it is well draining...peppers usually don't like to sit in soggy soil....I also use peatmoss, compost, and even some ground up dry leaves, it creates a rich well draining soil.

So sand will help out Hyponex?

I havent done anything in awhile because I'm waiting on funds to get new soil as I made the newbie mistake of buying that nasty "soil" and it killed all my hab sprouts. No drainage at all.

If just sand would help..hmmm.

I hate to just ditch the stuff, but like concrete it's so dense.

Tom,

I was told by a nursery guy to mix 2 parts of good top soil to 1 part of aged compost and this would be excellent for peppers. As of getting your peppers out is 2 weeks...IMO to wait 3 just to be on the safe side. I'm planning a big plant out on Memorial Day Week because the frost is over by then. A couple of years ago I had a neighbor who lost their whole garden to frost...

cmpman1974 said:
I use Pro-Mix primarily so I'm not a lot of help. I'm just wondering if 2 weeks is too early for SE MI. I'd recommend waiting 3 weeks at least to be safe here. I live right where you do. :)

Chris

I would second this I live in your area too ,and last year I planted peppers around may 13-15 and they suffered ,so this year I will plant them in may 25-28 or a little sooner according to weather forecast,buy temp below 52-55F at night are not to good ,as soil goes I will put top soil mixed with my own compost
There is a hydroponic store on Middlebelt and Seven mile NE corner of Middlebelt ,I always buy there mix for my seedlings but it is expensive 17 $ per bag ,I wish I could buy 10 -20 bags for my pots
happy growing

Thanks to all for the great advice.I will weigh the many options
and go from there. And when I said plant out in 2 weeks well that is on my very "optimistic" time to plant out but it is more wishful thinking than anything!!:lol::lol:

Chiliac said:
I'd recommend sand, too. You can steal it from playgrounds at night! :)

:shame: If you've seen what lurks in that playground sand you wouldn't wanna grow your chillis in it let alone have kids playing in it. Cigarette butts and lumps of dog poo are often found beneath the surface, nasty.

rainbowberry said:
:shame: If you've seen what lurks in that playground sand you wouldn't wanna grow your chillis in it let alone have kids playing in it. Cigarette butts and lumps of dog poo are often found beneath the surface, nasty.

:lol: but i have to agree with rainbowberry ewwww i can pick up a 20 lb bag of sand
for 2 dollars so I will do that. After a 91 dollar vet visit
for Gunner its gotta be low priced:lol: vet visit was good btw just some round worms that he was treated for but other than that clean bill of health:) lil guy is GROWING lol

rainbowberry said:

I was kidding and YOU know it!!! :)

If that's all you find in the playground, you must be living in a really good neighbourhood! :)

I use about 50% native soil (very fine nutrient rich soil almost clay where I live), and the other half is 1/3 sand, 1/3 compost and/or steer manure, 1/3 silty soil I buy. In raised beds, drains well. Chiles seem to love this mix.

Chiliac said:

If that's all you find in the playground, you must be living in a really good neighbourhood! :)
When she used the word "lurks" I thought I knew what she's talking about, but I guess not. :P

Chiliac said:

Luckily I do live in a great place. The worst you'll find down the local playground is the odd empty crisp/chip wrapper and "Harry loves Sally" engraved in the bench :)

Back