• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil/pH adjustments

Since peat is on the acidic side would adding some pelletized lime help make it more neutral?

What are my other options?

Thanks gang.

patrick said:
Since peat is on the acidic side would adding some pelletized lime help make it more neutral?

What are my other options?

Thanks gang.

I would say go with a pulverized product. From what I have read the lime in pellet form takes a while to do its thing. I don't know much more than that. I am not sure but possibly 1/2 cup per 1 cu.ft. of soil? Not sure. Hopefully the others can chime in. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks for the input Josh. I'm pretty sure the pelletized stuff gets into the soil at a good rate as it dissolves in water fairly quickly. Going to go withe the "wait and see" attitude for now.

Are you using an all peat soil mixture? If so I just moved a Bhut to an all peat soil in a grow box and here is what I came up with after a bit litle research.

Since peat needs a pH buffer I went with a mix of calcium carbonate, iron chelate, lime (powder form), a GH booster and a fine volcanic powder called Montmorillonite.

Calcium carbonate will raise the pH slightly and at the same time add trace minerals to the soil. There are other options in assiting in raising pH, but I found this is slower and allows more of a slow raise instead of a quick spike.

Iron Chelate helps the root growth and keeps them healthy and adds in fighting off over watering, too much heat especially helpful when transplanting.

A little GH booster to help in the transfer of nutrients in an acidic soil until the plant can adjust.

Montmorillonite's water content is variable and it increases greatly in volume when it absorbs water. Chemically it is hydrated sodium calcium aluminum magnesium silicate hydroxide (Na,Ca)0.33(Al,Mg)2(Si4O10)(OH)2·nH2O. Potassium, iron, and other cations are common substitutes, the exact ratio of cations varies with source. It often occurs intermixed with chlorite, muscovite, illite, cookeite and kaolinite. Montmorillonite is important use as an additive to soils that need to retain moisture. The effect of the Montmorillonite is to slow the progress of water through the soil when added and will retain a lot of water within it's microscopic crystals. I've had great success in the past by adding some to the upper portion of the soil in dry areas. It keeps water in the soil as needed, without drowning the roots at the same time.

Keep in mind that there is no nutrients in an all peat soil so make sure you add some good ferts to each watering and vitamines like super vit or super thrive.

Good luck!

Hey LGHT,

Not using an all peat planting medium. It's about 50% though. The rest is top soil, composted humus and cow manure, perlite and worm castings. I've started to add the pelletized lime to the mix from here on out.

Thanks for the info too, appreciate the work involved.

Back