• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Prep for New Season

Hey all,

First time poster here. Long time lurker. Last season I setup some raised beds under a green house. Toward the end of December, I noticed some bacterial spots forming on the leaves. I battled them on and off till I couldn't go anymore. To prep the beds for this season, I'm going to pull the old plants and recondition the soil to gain a fresh start. Is there anything I need to do specifically to make sure the soil is in top shape, as well as kill any existing fungus or pests that may inhibit this years plans. The grow list will include some super hots as well as some milds. I currently run dwc buckets inside under a 1,000 Hps bulb, and also going to try my luck with a Mars Hydro LED 600w. All will be posted under a Glog asap. Thanks! Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this post.

quote name="Xpur3log1cX" post="1284112" timestamp="1457475048"]Hey all,

First time poster here. Long time lurker. Last season I setup some raised beds under a green house. Toward the end of December, I noticed some bacterial spots forming on the leaves. I battled them on and off till I couldn't go anymore. To prep the beds for this season, I'm going to pull the old plants and recondition the soil to gain a fresh start. Is there anything I need to do specifically to make sure the soil is in top shape, as well as kill any existing fungus or pests that may inhibit this years plans. The grow list will include some super hots as well as some milds. I currently run dwc buckets inside under a 1,000 Hps bulb, and also going to try my luck with a Mars Hydro LED 600w. All will be posted under a Glog asap. Thanks! Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this post.[/quote]

Welcome!

You could have the soil tested to see what you might have to add. I don't. I will here soon when I start my bare ground garden this year. Virgin soil.

I reuse my soil every year. Just reconditioned my raised beds. I pull all the soil out of the beds and put it on a tarp. I break up any clods and remove roots from previous grow. I let it sit a day and get some air to it. Then I throw a third of the soil back in the beds. I add composted Turkey manure and mix. I then add some more soil and mix garden-tone and fill with remaining soil. When I plant, I'll add myco. I water with a compost tea during the season. My beds are infested with worms. The soil is homemade. It includes peat,rcw,compost, and manure. This soil is 3years old. The same goes for my potted plants. Same recycled soil.

I sure like the sound of you indoor setup! Testing is important, and what you add should be based on that. Clay and sand both require different amendments to either break them up or hold them together. Compost, manure, peat, bone and blood meal are my cornerstones.

stc3248 said:
I sure like the sound of you indoor setup! Testing is important, and what you add should be based on that. Clay and sand both require different amendments to either break them up or hold them together. Compost, manure, peat, bone and blood meal are my cornerstones.
I'm working with clay. I'll get it tested before adding anything. I too use the bone and blood at different times of the year. My potted plants, I PH my water and don't worry about up or downing my soil. The water does it for me.

You could give soil solarization a shot if you get strong direct sunlight on beds thru greenhouse. Till or loosen soil, rake flat and cover tight with clear plastic. Let it cook soil for at least a week of sunny days. Remove and plant direct. Have had good results for pests and blights in the past.

Thanks, I'm glad to be a part of the community. Hoping I can learn a few things, and teach a bit as well. The clear plastic sheeting is a great idea. I may try some of the copper stuff also. Have lots of ideas and little time :) Hope to do this full time one day. 

Now that I'm composting I reuse the previous years soil mixing it with the grass, leaves, veggies, coffee and other things that I throw into my composter. Before I use to throw it out and now it gets new life with composting.

I'll more than likely pull a good amount of old soil out and mix in some new stuff, then add some compost. Didn't think about using a different plant. The spots ended up everywhere ever since the winter rolled around. I noticed they ended up in the front flower beds as well. Now that its a little warmer, it shouldn't be a problem. I started late in the season. If it comes back I'm going to nuke the beds lol.

humus, manure, and gypsum are good things to add.  

compost is still the best, what i do is throw all my old matter as others have in a pile on the side of my house that has no grass and let it ride.  harvest what i can and work with it.  

i also have been starting worm bins, as you bring castings and even possibly some eggs down into the soil it will help more than you think.  also keep an eye on your PH levels for what you're growing too! 

The only plants I worried about pH are my blueberries so I bought soil specifically for them in my containers. Every year I add new soil and compost to the areas where I plant in the ground and the raised beds but haven't worried about the pH of the soil. I should check it to be on the safe side. Everything looks healthy that I've been growing. Thanks for the reminder !

Back