• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil question that just occurred to me?

Most of my peppers will be going in the ground this year but I plan to keep one plant of each variety I am growing in containers. I am planning on using ProMix in the containers and by the time I am done with filling each container up for the plants it just occurred to me that it will be a LOT of soil.

Which leads to my question. What does everyone do with the soil at the end of the season?

i only use promix for my soil seedlings. for my containers, i buy the cheapest bale of peat mix from costco($9.99). add in my own additives:egg shells, coffee grounds, seaweed, fine sand, dried banana peels, trimmings from my shaver, tea bags, worm castings, ground alfalfa and top it off with a splash of MYKE, mycorrhize fungi. if i think the mixed is too thick, i'll add in a few handfuls of promix.

most of my plants get overwintered, those that die, the soil gets tossed into a large tote and the whole cycle starts over again. i have been known to toss in a few earth worms into the mix as well.

good growing.

Mostly dump out in the garden but sometimes it can be reused to pot something unrelated and unfussy.
Pro Mix is pretty sterile and also not water retentive. I would put in some compost and some moisture control potting soil.

Boy I have seen plenty of your avatar in real life as a meter reader. Pretty much the number one most problematic dog breed. I have pepper sprayed several. So it is ironic to see it on a hot pepper forum!
My husband bought me new pepper spray and it says right on it 2 million SHU. So we joked about just carrying come superhot seeds and throwing them in someone's face LOL. (you had to be there :cool:

I dump all my old container media in a big compost pile and use it the next year either with half new stuff or in the ground mixed with native dirt.

Back