• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Question

Another season is upon us.. I grow in pots.. Last season I made my soil of 1 part potting soil, one part compost, one part perlite, and one part dirt from the garden.. harvest was ok, but the soil seemed to compact and got pretty hard. Looking to improve this year..

Anyone have a "recipe" for a good quality soil I can mix up for growing in pots?

LordHill said:
Last season I made my soil of 1 part potting soil, one part compost, one part perlite, and one part dirt from the garden.
I'd remove potting soil, it makes little to no sense if you have added compost and safe dirt from the garden. And you save money.

LordHill said:
harvest was ok, but the soil seemed to compact and got pretty hard. Looking to improve this year..

All soil will compact. It is inevitable.

Just my opinion, others will certainly give you a better advice. Then ignoring what I said should be considered.

:party:

Ok here goes; I use containers 100%.My soil is 1/3 pine you could use fir or redwood (decomposed),1/3 perlite i like the bigger size and 1/3 canadien peat moss.Thats my soil.Pretty simple and basic.Now all you have to do is add or feed whatever you choose or like to this mixture and start growing.Just make sure your plants get what they need.Potting soil and potting mix are different so if i had to use prebagged stuff id use the potting mix not the potting soil.

Simple is good..I like simple.. I think I am going to go with your recommended base. Add some worm castings, some bone meal, and see how it works

Back