• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil under swimming pool into garden.Moldy?

I looked everywhere online but couldn't find a answer.
I just removed my above ground swimming pool to convert into growing space.I knew the soil would be compact and dead and I plan on tilling a bunch of compost into it
The sand underneath has green algae along with black and red fungus or mold? I'm not sure about it... Should I be concerned about funkys contaminating my plants? Should i just till it in and forget about it? The last thing I want to do is put pathogen or bacteria laced food on the family dinner table. Thanks

Might want to check soil PH too.

Might have a lot of pool chemicals in the soil.
Possibly lots of salts,depending on what you used in your pool for chemicals.

The fungus might be a good thing,breaking down all the stuff that collected under the pool while the pool was in use.

I'd think that soil stayed wet a long time and once it dries out the fungus will go away.
I'm sure there are people here that would be interested if mushrooms start growing that turn blue when you bruise them. LOL

Alright I guess I'll piss on it and till it in. I have not added anything but chlorine and pH adjuster in the last 18 months at least.I was worried about chemical runoff messing up my apple trees. I'm gonna just test, amend and grow it out.I know I'm not planting all my peppers in one basket.

Back