• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Solar powered hydro setup?

I have been toying around with the idea to power a small hydro setup with a solar panel and rechargable battery . I just wanna keep it simple have the panel charge the battery and run the pump during the day and have battery power for the pump over night.

has anyone here done this or have experience with this type of setup?

Did a quick search and found a small 12v Solar panel thats weatherproof for $40 unfortunatley they are out of stock :(
but Im gonna try and find another source , but this panel would definatley charge the battery.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3039805

maybe hook it up to a low power boat bilge pump like the one below that isnt one of the automatic types

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_8991_225003005_225000000_225003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Do they have Harbor Freight in Florida?. They have a panel and pump combo in the "solar powered fountain", but no battery and cheap quality.

Gotta love how the ads on a page are tied to the subject of the thread, at least at times.

Build Your Own Solar Panel! There is another one I saw that talks about getting batteries for free or next to nothing.

If your climate allows it, I would go for it. I found out this year how painfully short of sun light we are during January and parts of February. I'm talking about 4-5 hours worth in three weeks!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Gotta love how the ads on a page are tied to the subject of the thread, at least at times.

Build Your Own Solar Panel! There is another one I saw that talks about getting batteries for free or next to nothing.

If your climate allows it, I would go for it. I found out this year how painfully short of sun light we are during January and parts of February. I'm talking about 4-5 hours worth in three weeks!

Mike
Im in southwest florida , not sure what kinda january/ february actual sunlight hours we get it , however I do have an indoor hydo setup in my garage so it wouldnt be a big deal to them inside, plus if we keep getting temps down in the 30's in Jan/feb I would be moving them in anyway.

ZanderSpice said:
Do they have Harbor Freight in Florida?. They have a panel and pump combo in the "solar powered fountain", but no battery and cheap quality.

yeah we have a local harbor frieght, neat place went there at lunch today, they have a couple diff cheap pumps that I checkout I might give the solar one a go on a small single pot drip setup first........ actually, that pump might worked perfect for a small NFT setup, provided I can figure out a way to get a battery in the mix to run a night.

Im gonna work on a build plan this weekend,
when I start putting it together I'll do a build thread with photos, gonna try to make this as inexpensive as possible :)

I love this! If it works out and u get a good inexpensive (or even a little expensive- grated you will save in the long run with electric costs) def. let me know! I'd like to try this if you your set up .. good luck

xoxo

this looks like its gonna be able to be done on the cheap, I have been shopping around and working on ideas, and have come up with a few simple different type of solar powered hydroponic setups for outside, gonna buy some supplies this weekend and get building next week, I'll keep you all posted with build pics etc. when I get everything together. :)

greAT idea mark i like your thinking.

what kind if indoor system do u have recovery non recovery? pics

hope all works out for ya!

my indoor setup at the moment is a simple homemade ebb and flow along with a few DWC bucket setups, Im currently working on a mini nft system for lettuce as well. heres a few pics , I take some newer ones when I get home from work.

a few of my tomato buckets (these usually are outside but due to recent cold snaps brought in a night)
buckets1.jpg

ebb and flow after I first built it, will take new pics of it functioning (I have a larger one on my back porch but too cold to use it right now).
ebbnflow1.jpg

just some of the seeds germinating
starter1.jpg

misc. shelf of seedlings
seedlings1.jpg

Dear Wickedmojo- After reading you post yesterday you got me obsessed with the idea. I spent over an hour researching on the web different options... with no success since I am lost by solar jargon! arrrg. Im not to good with keeping up with posts so if you dont mind, PM me your solar solution! thanks

xox

ok guys i have been following this for a while now and i have been looking for solar panels and pumps and just anything i could use with hydroponics.. i plan on having a hydro set up out side someday... any ways this is what i found ... go down the page a bit and you can see all kinds of good stuff.. also look at some of the tabs on the left side .. real nice web site.. IF i get 1 i will post up what i got ...:lol: hope this helps you guys out there...
http://www.siliconsolar.com/solar-fountain-pumps.html

Back