• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Solo Cups...#1 Pots

Nope, as long as you can provide enough nutrients and water, you can keep them alive in just about any container. It might not be optimal, but it can be done.

Right now I cut 3 holes in the bottom of the 5oz cups and bottom water with a diluted mix of 1 gal distilled water with 1/4tsp each of GH Flora Micro,Grow & Bloom.

Right now I cut 3 holes in the bottom of the 5oz cups and bottom water with a diluted mix of 1 gal distilled water with 1/4tsp each of GH Flora Micro,Grow & Bloom.

At 2 weeks old, some people might say that is too many nutes, depending on your soil mix.

I, personally, do not start feeding any nutes until 4 weeks, but I am a fish emulsion/worm tea kind of grower so I can't really speak on your nute levels. If it isn't hurting them, you are probably fine.

At 2 weeks old, some people might say that is too many nutes, depending on your soil mix.

I, personally, do not start feeding any nutes until 4 weeks, but I am a fish emulsion/worm tea kind of grower so I can't really speak on your nute levels. If it isn't hurting them, you are probably fine.

That was the recommended dilution as per GH. Ive only watered once with it and will probably switch to fish emulsion teas etc as that is what I usually do. My soil mix is just some black gold seed starting mix that i put around the rapid rooters.

That was the recommended dilution as per GH. Ive only watered once with it and will probably switch to fish emulsion teas etc as that is what I usually do. My soil mix is just some black gold seed starting mix that i put around the rapid rooters.

Just remember the GH nutes are meant for hydroponic systems which have no nutes in the media to begin with. I am not familiar with black gold seed starting mix, but usually seed starting mixes have little to no nutes, so you should be fine.

Just remember the GH nutes are meant for hydroponic systems which have no nutes in the media to begin with. I am not familiar with black gold seed starting mix, but usually seed starting mixes have little to no nutes, so you should be fine.

Thanks for the tip... Im still new at this so any info is much appreciated!

I actually decided to move away from the solo cups this year. They work great but I had a lot of issues moving flats of them around. The solo cups were constantly falling over, damaging plants, spilling dirt. Part of that is because I had 12" tall plants in 6" tall cups and they got top heavy. This year I am doing 4" square, extra deep pots with form trays. Overall, they should have about the same volume, and I still plan to go from these straight into the ground and skip the #1 pots.

I still say solo is the way to go if you aren't dealing with hundreds or thousands of plants. Plus, these square pots don't really become cost effective until you are buying them by the case.
I found that a good way to move the solos around is to use the delivery trays for 2 liter soda bottles. They aren't snug but they stop them from tipping and carry easily. They hold 8 plants each and you can fit 5 trays perfectly under a 4 foot jump start lighting system. Best of all... They are free. Oh yeah, and they stack nicely when you are done with them.

Back