• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Some garden pix

Here are some pix from my garden this year...

Three types of lettuce that are needing to be weeded out between the rows. It rains nearly every day here so between rain and work I havent had time to do it yet
2jcy8lc.jpg

The potatoes are gonna blossom really soon
13zstvc.jpg

The cabbage is starting to make heads.
25psju1.jpg

Check this out. Some of the brocoli is starting to produce
15q86e0.jpg

Thanks.
I started everything from seed this year and did so early which explains why everything is doing good this early.

Brian,

A tip from a very long time (50 years) lettuce grower - if you want it to stay more tender and not bolt as quickly, find an old sheet or something similar and cover it. I had lettuce on New Year's Day this year, and that was after several hard freezes and a couple of nice snowfalls.

Mike

Like a cloth sheet?

What I do is plant the seeds every 2-3 weeks so I will always have younger lettuce growing.
The sheet wont hurt the plants when it gets really warm out?

BrianS said:
Like a cloth sheet?

What I do is plant the seeds every 2-3 weeks so I will always have younger lettuce growing.
The sheet wont hurt the plants when it gets really warm out?

Brian,

Not at all, in fact, it helps. The lettuce stays more tender.

Mike

Since it rained yet again last night and the garden is still too wet to work in I went out and took some pics

Early Jersey Wakefield (wont be long and this one will be in a soup or salad)
21e44u8.jpg

Kennebec Tater (beautiful flowers)
2u6zo80.jpg

I've never seen aphids on potatoes. Potato bugs - yes! They were a constant problem. Actually, potato bugs look quite like lady bugs. We use to have to carry gallon buckets down the rows and knock all the bugs off the plants into the bucket, then drown them.

Mike

QuadShotz said:
Nice stuff!

Hmm, that ain't aphids on yer last tator pic is it? :shocked:

LOL Some of you folks worry yourselves sick over aphids LOL;)

No it aint aphids, I have never seen them on taters either. If any get on my plants I'll mail them to you if you will gimme your address:lol:
If you're really nice I'll even throw in a few good ole Missouri ticks free of charge:lol:

Ciao Brian-

What are the purple plants next to your cabbage? Is it some kind of lettuce or beets? It looks lovely, whatever it is.

Sorellina said:
Ciao Brian-

What are the purple plants next to your cabbage? Is it some kind of lettuce or beets? It looks lovely, whatever it is.

Those are indeed beets. I am growing 3 varieties this year

Ciao Brian-

Your beets are so beautiful! What variety is that purple one? I'd love to grow it next year. I've grown Chioggia, Golden, and Cylindra, but the leaves have always been green, not purple.

wordwiz said:
I've never seen aphids on potatoes. Potato bugs - yes! They were a constant problem. Actually, potato bugs look quite like lady bugs. We use to have to carry gallon buckets down the rows and knock all the bugs off the plants into the bucket, then drown them.

Mike

I guess you're lucky if you've never had potato aphids or green peach aphids

Tonight I dug up a small row of taters. I have been wanting some of those small new potatoes. These are Kennebec. The bags of lettuce are Black Seeded Simpson and Red Romain which are BC seed. I have so much lettuce I am gonna sell some of it.
dosbgl.jpg

2qu2c9i.jpg

2lu7wd0.jpg

Back