• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Some help for a lost newby?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, but only just signed up with an account. I hate to post a generic "help me, I'm new" post, but ultimately I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with how much awesome information is here. I'd like to start germinating soon (even though I understand it is a bit late?) and I was wondering if anyone had any links or information to sort of give me a super simple starting place. I've found so many great posts that go into so much detail that I seem to leave threads with more questions than when I first opened them. So....

Basics of germinating? I was planning on using moist paper towels, followed by planting in small planter pot. Is there something I should consider doing differently?
Soil? Please don't yell at me... I know there is such a plethora of information on here for me to read through, but gosh there doesn't seem to be anything definitive on this topic. What should I start my seedling in? About when should I transplant and into what sort of medium?

Anything anyone can do to help me make sense of things and keep it simple for my first year of doing this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

Is not too late to start some seeds. It is not as easy as, "tell me what to do". Exsplore the site and use the search opition. As you read you will learn and learn how the information apllies to you.
* don't be affraid to ask if your not sure (that's what we are here for).

If you're looking for some one-on-one help getting started, why not check out your area agricultural extension service or a good-quality grow shop. They're familiar with growing conditions in your area and know what the locally-available range of options are for growing supplies.

http://extension.missouri.edu/

Thanks Terravexti and stickman (No relation to a particular photographer I follow, by any chance?.) That's sort of what I've been doing. Browsing randomly but using the search function to supplement what I am already informed on. The main reason I decided to post a new thread is because I was struggling to find a sort of "standard protocol" so to speak. A lot of posts are written by very well informed individuals who are quite comfortable changing things up, experimenting, etc. But I'm not that far yet so I'm trying to get a good baseline to follow and begin exploring from.

And that's a great idea stickman. I'll see what resources are available around me. I do know the soil around these parts (SW Missouri) isn't the best. I was planning on doing all my growing in pots.

Thanks again.

I agree 100% JMCSD it is overwhelming for sure, and it's hard to pick and choose what works for you because you've never done it. This guide by alabama jack helped me a lot.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32738-how-to-start-seeds-a-guide-to-seed-starting/page__fromsearch__1

Welcome to THP

Its my first year from seed and i started them a good seed soil starter mix a couple cell trays with lids and some lights and boom i have seedlings popping up. No need for the paper towel
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37126-the-bizs-2013-glog/

Yeah, you will JMCSD if you keep on keepin' on! :welcome: I'm with spicy: that post by Alabama Jack is a really helpful and simple "baseline." You need some form of bottom heat for germing and lots of ways on here to get that from heat mats (unless you live in sunny/warm mid or south FL or south Texas)--or the paper towel method--or building your own germ station. And ya need medium--I like Promix BX even if I have to order it--3.8cu ft. goes a long way--do like AJ said, wet it first; some soak seeds (I do); some don't; keep everything clean; have lights for once seeds hook, get some fans to prevent damping off. (Again unless you live in warm/sunny area, but they got issues I don't, such as fighting off "bugs," aphids, spider mites this time of year: nobody's grow situation is perfect.) And you're not too late to party. If you have seed, great; if not folks on here will maybe send you some, can order some from peppermania.com (Beth), pepperlover.com (Judy), peppergal.com, Baker's, Trade Winds Fruit has great selection too, Tomato Growers Supply, and pepperjoe.com. Cool saying, "The person who has killed the most plants is the better farmer." Good luck. Hope you hang around! Folks are here are wonderfully gracious! Annie

Get a jiffy kit. either the 36 cell or 72. soak your seeds for 24 hours before planting a quarter inch deep.after planting , put the jiffy kit on a heat pad. soil temps should be around 80 degrees. i use a heating pad like they use for babies or sore muscles on the lowest setting. when they sprout take them out of the dome and put them under lights. i use daylight cfls for the new seedlings to avoid to much heat production. this is just one way. there's tons of ways to do this.

I like to initially germinate mine in a damp coffee filter so I don't have any surprises, then as soon as the root peeks out, put them either into a cup (with holes cut in it) filled with peat or a jiffy pellet. If you want to do the same, use a coffee filter rather than a paper towel, as the weave of paper towels is typically too loose - the root will become embedded in the paper towel if you let it go too long.

Ad agree - it's not too late to start seeds now.

Another great way is to go into the section "Growing Hot Peppers" and then click on the sub forum "Glogs" Read through a few and you will see first hand how people went about starting their seeds, growing them indoors, plant out and all the way up to harvest. They include pictures and plenty of information. I recommend a few:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37019-pic-1spod-ography2013/ (he knows his stuff)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37281-peppin-aint-easy-20/ (there's a link to my old glog inside this one. I'm giving you a link to my glog because I had a lot of problems that you can learn from.)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28050-mezos-super-hots-glog-including-the-big-solar-dehydrator/ (This one is a really fun one to follow)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36685-paulg-2013/ (PaulG is a mad scientist in the garden)

There are so many more. Some of these are for this year a few are from last year. Maybe you can pick a glog and just copy what they do. Like a color by number. Most have started already, so as you are going along, they will be two steps ahead of you and you can follow along.

Good luck!

Hey guys! I disappeared for a minute! Problems with the GF but oh well. Got my seeds started. I'll keep everyone posted. This really is an awesome place.

If you think you have problems now, wait until you serve her a dish you made with too many homegrown peppers!!! I caught hell last night for feeding mine an etouffee that had one tiny third of a habanero in it.... she said it was too spicy. I have no idea what she's talking about!

JMCSD, these guys helped me out big time last year... it was my first grow. The most valuable thing I learned was, especially for the first couple of grows until you really get your feet wet, keep it simple. Soil, seed, water. Those are the three basics. Heat and light are also necessities. Don't overwater.

Just plant your seeds in the soil the way God intended it (sorry soakers... nature rules!). A 72 count cell pack works just fine on an indoor table until your daytime temps get right. Keep the soil warm (80 degrees is perfect) and damp, but not "wet", and forget about the rest until they sprout. Take it one step at a time and you'll do just fine. Task at hand, my friend.

another newb checking in. Was looking for some info on starting from seeds. Have bought plants in the past but got a really good seed stock from a few people this year. I have not had much luck with starting chinense seeds. From what I read so far I can see where I made some mistakes. Now just trying to determine what starting medium I want to use.

Again, sorry for not checking in more often. Yeah using some of the resources here I've had quite a bit of good luck germinating the seeds I have (except for those darn Bhuts!) but I'll keep the faith. I (probably should have done more research) am experimenting a little bit by planting using both those standard peat pellets and using a seed starting soil. I'll keep everyone posted how they go. I've got some Trinidad Maruga Scorpions going which look to have germinated pretty well which was a pleasant surprise. Tonight I'll actually be buying a new bulb (and buying more hardware) so I'll be prepared for when they start popping their little heads out.

I am stoked! I really appreciate everyone's help. Just hoping I don't make too many rookie mistakes and can keep some of these little guys alive.

To be totally honest---my first try sucked. Ended up buying plants, and putting them in the wrong place.
The very best way to learn is to screw it up.
Then you know what NOT to do again. :shame:
Now I am lazy.
I bought an aerogarden and the seed starter kit for it.
Stick the seed in the sponge, the sponge in the hole, and fill with the included nutrients.
Planted 66 seeds in the starter kit on Jan. 31st, and had to put almost 1/2 of them into pots today.
Less than a month from dry seed to transplant----no paper towels, heat mats, or heroic efforts.

Built a ghetto hydro out of a tub from wallyworld, and transplanted the overgrown aerogarden into that with plants I started in July last year.
All attempts to kill them off ---from aphid apocalypse to fert burn----have failed to kill more than 1/2 of them.

THIS will be my method from now on, as I had a very bad "jiffy" experience.
100 seeded jiffies, 4 total sprouted---0% survived.

If you want to see what a clueless newbie can accomplish in less than a year------mostly from reading topics and searching problems here-----look at my glog. :dance:

Thanks all. Yeah, won't have any problems with upsetting the GF with the peppers. She called it off! So that problem solved itself.

At this point in time over 90% have sprouted, and are looking pretty healthy altogether (my Jalapenos sprouted so quick and grew so fast I didn't have time to get enough light to them so they're a little more leggy than I'd like but so far they're not falling over). Need to pay attention to when it'll be time to transplant. I was planning on putting them into disposable cups for this one, then go to 6" pots. What's everyone's opinion on that? I checked some of the larger plants yesterday and it still doesn't seem to have a real strong root ball, but I'm scared of this "Rootbound" thing I've read about. Don't know what it is, but it sounds scary!

Starting to get really excited!

Thanks again everyone,
Joe

Back