• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some help for my 7-Pod DWC

I have been trying to grow some peppers using DWC this winter. I have a Quantum T5HO Badboy 8 bulb lamp for light. They are upstairs and the temps during the day get to 75-80 depending on the day. At night they drop to 60. I opened the heating vent up a little more to get more heat so that should help. If you want to check out my glog it is here http://thehotpepper....pepper-project/ I have been kind of slow and getting some things going. I have been adding nutrients so they are about 500ppm. My water starts about 250ppm. I am using this for nutrients http://www.botanicar...-2-4-P43C2.aspx . I finally got a PH meter this week. I had a big vacation set up and other stuff and just put it off. After starting to regulate the PH I can see how big a difference it makes. All my plants seem to be doing good except my 7 Pod. My Purple Jalapeno which is doing the best started going crazy this week when I started regulating the PH. My Fatali and Mustard Habanero are also doing good but not growing as crazy fast as the Jalapeno is. After a nutrient change and regulating the PH hopefully it will get going. If you have any other ideas like needing higher temps or what not please reply.

The temps during the day are a little high, you want to keep it under 75. The higher the temp in the res the better chance of root rot.

I always start my ph in dwc at 5.7-5.8 and once it gets up over 6.1 I change the res out with fresh nutes.

pH is key, 5.5-6.5 has worked well for us historically. As for your 7 pot, some plants just lag.. try not to over think it.
Also, as a rule, we usually plant 2-3 seedlings per dwc unit. Pull the weak ones and leave the performers. You can grow 2 sizable plants per unit if you are attentive..
the bad boy is a great choice for t5 lighting. After looking at your grow log, you may want to consider moving your tall plant out to a separate area, and space your dwc more evenly under the light. Also allowing you to move the light closer to your plant tops.

Just some thoughts... Regards, Chris

It definitely looks like u need to either move the tall plant to a different light or raise the little ones off of the floor and up closer to the light. I usually raise the shorter plants up by stacking cinder blocks under the buckets

Yup, move those plants closer to the light.

Also, are you going to flower these? If you do then you will need the blooming nutrients as well.

Yes I am going to flower these. I just bought the grow because I knew I could put off the bloom until later. I bought some bloom nutrients for my potted plant. It has instructions for hydroponic use. Its General Organics Biothrive Bloom. But I will probably go with the General Hydroponics Flora Nova Bloom.

Yeah keep the biothrive out of the DWC. I tried it once and it foams up bad, suffocating the roots. Made a god 4" head on the top of the water.

As for Plant spacing I know they are tight right now. After the other pepper plants start getting bigger I will move my Gochu plant. I just want to try to get as many peppers as I can out of it right now. Also I know sometimes plants are slow starters. And this 7-pot seems to be taking its time. I might throw another seed in an oasis cube and see if I get can get a faster growing plant. Also I checked my PH again today and it seems very stable. I adjusted it several times last week which I assume is due to the fact I had never adjusted it. Also as for the water temperature i put a thermomter in one bucket. When I got home it was 74 degrees. So I don't think they are getting to hot. The room was the hottest it will get in the winter.

Back