• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Some look to be dying

some of my plants are showing whitish spotting on leaves, drooping - one even has a leaf that snapped at the base. the upper new leaves also seem to be curling up. What causes that?

I guess this is why we plant many, but these are the ones I replanted in larger pots. Instead of thriving they are dying. Can't really blame the MG b/c I got some Pro mix and even the pro mix ones aren't doing stellar.

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

Hmmm...actually that looks more like a water logged plant (and some of the leaves look like they have some spider mite damage).

I haven't watered them in several days. they did have those insects whatever they were but they are gone now.

Just wait it out?

worlok said:
I haven't watered them in several days. they did have those insects whatever they were but they are gone now.

Just wait it out?
Well, just b/c it hasn't been watered doesn't mean the that soil isn't too wet/holding too much moisture for too long. And by insects, do you mean aphids?

Let's see what everyone else thinks before waiting it out.

nice plants. i had that problen with my bell pepper sand one of my hot perper plants. A neighboure told me to pour soapy water on it . it worked. Now it looks fine and they have lots of flowers bother are C. Anum and are about 2 millimeters apart from each other. No crosses yet.

imaguitargod said:
Well, just b/c it hasn't been watered doesn't mean the that soil isn't too wet/holding too much moisture for too long. And by insects, do you mean aphids?

Let's see what everyone else thinks before waiting it out.

those things that I thought were aphids but ended up growing wings when they got large. remember there was some sort of f ly problem from my wife's 2 plants that she brought into the house 2 weeks ago. there was what looked like a small fruit or other fly swarm at our front window, and I guess they egged all over my plants. i have since eliminated that problem.

the good news is that the ones still in the starter tray look fine. the bad news is that something is going wrong when I pot them.

They don't look that bad to me, I've had some look way worse and recover. I think they need some small fan action, they look spindly more than anything else. RE: Fan - Build up to it at 1st, so you don't shock them further - maybe 10min the 1st day building up to a couple hours a day. Let Potawie comment though, he's the expert- just do whatever he says and you'll be fine.

bigt said:
They don't look that bad to me, I've had some look way worse and recover. I think they need some small fan action, they look spindly more than anything else. RE: Fan - Build up to it at 1st, so you don't shock them further - maybe 10min the 1st day building up to a couple hours a day. Let Potawie comment though, he's the expert- just do whatever he says and you'll be fine.

see that one where the leaf just snapped off? That one looks really weak. I have it in the sun right now.

IMG_1718.jpg

peppermanbaha said:
What types are those

The one with the "S" are what I think are Sannam, from India. I buy these bags of dried Indian chilis, they are just marked red chilis, but they look like Sannam. I just used seeds that were in the bags. Same for the Byadagi from India, gotten the same way, from bags of dried chilis.

Sanam/Sannam/Saanam: (dried)

Indian_Sanam_Dry_Chili.jpg

Byadagi: (dried)

92971077_ecbcacb614.jpg

The byadagis are mild, with a bit of heat (very little) - and the Sanam are hotter.

don't know about the white spots but the new leaves curling could be from damage caused by the insects when they were tiny leaves...the tender new growth is usually the first spot of attack by sucking insects...if the insects are gone, it could be damage caused when they were tiny..

Back