• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some Observations. Some Questions

I have noticed that the Jalapenos tend to get bigger leaves that the Chinenses.

I have noticed that the Hot Paper Lantern hooks are very very thin.

I have noticed that I have some with three cotlydons (sp?)

How long till I can expect to see a second set of leaves?

Is this normal that the Hot Paper Lantern hooks are so thin?

What causes the three cotlydon thing and are they gonna live?

Are yall tired of my question yet?

I was just like you last year and still somewhat are!

I forget how long it takes until second set of leaves but not very long at all.

No it isn't normal for hooks to be so thin but I think it will probably live just have to thicken the stem a little that's all.

3 cotyledons is perfectly normal.

hope i helped

3 cotydelons is caused by... Mutation? Damage? The plant will live but not produce as much as "normal" plants IME.

MrArboc said:
3 cotydelons is caused by... Mutation? Damage? The plant will live but not produce as much as "normal" plants IME.

Hmmmmm never heard that can someone confirm if this is true?

So, if that is true, and I were planning on giving seeds away from those plants should I kill them off so as not to spread the mutation around?

the hooks for the paper lantern should be the same as any others. weak seeds may have caused this??

by second set of leaves do you mean 1st set of "true leaves"?. In my experience, the first set of true leaves will start becoming noticeable after only a week. 2 weeks after sprouting you should definitely have the first true leaves growing in. a few may be slower.

Ballzworth said:
the hooks for the paper lantern should be the same as any others. weak seeds may have caused this??

by second set of leaves do you mean 1st set of "true leaves"?. In my experience, the first set of true leaves will start becoming noticeable after only a week. 2 weeks after sprouting you should definitely have the first true leaves growing in. a few may be slower.

Oh, the cotlydons are not a true set of leaves? Ok. Will they fall off or something?

Mjdtexan said:
Oh, the cotlydons are not a true set of leaves? Ok. Will they fall off or something?

no they won't fall off, but you'll notice that the "true leaves" look completely different...like real plant leaves. That's when you'll start noticing the distinguishing characteristics of different pepper plants. I usually cut them off once the real leaves are forming, but that's just preference and isn't necessary.

I saved two last year. A Brainstrain 7 and an unknown annuum. Neither one even flowered, and PRF told me that saving the seedling with three cotydelons from his seeds would be a waste of time and space. As I said - IME, and I seem to remember a thread last year where most people said they didn't bother to keep them. Prove me wrong, I love anything unusual! (No joke or sarcasm!)

MrArboc said:
I saved two last year. A Brainstrain 7 and an unknown annuum. Neither one even flowered, and PRF told me that saving the seedling with three cotydelons from his seeds would be a waste of time and space. As I said - IME, and I seem to remember a thread last year where most people said they didn't bother to keep them. Prove me wrong, I love anything unusual! (No joke or sarcasm!)

It didnt sound sarcastic. I would like to hear more on the subject. I dont want to spend effort on a plant that is not going to flower and produce. Everything around my house produces or it has to go. Dogs are exempt.

Back