• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Some pics of my Tomatoes!

Since there are several tomato grow logs on here I thought I might as well show off my plants too!

This is how they looked on the 1st November 2009
Tomatos-1.jpg

Jump forward to the 16th December 2009
MMM01A0989.jpg

And then today, 12th Jan 2010...They have grown much larger than I could have imagined!
M01A1097.jpg

So yeah, things seem to be going pretty sweet. Should be having a small harvest within the next few weeks, then hopefully a couple of large harvests after that.

Hey mate. I am growing Grosse Lisse and Roma... not exactly exciting varieties but they are popular down here as varieties which are guaranteed to grow very well with our climate. I'm thinking next year I will have to have a go at growing some heirloom varieties from seed.

Anyways, I have a question for you all....take a look at the last pic I posted, the fruit in that pic are growing on what is supposed to be a Roma plant, yet they do not seem to be showing any of the Roma characteristics. These are the first fruit which set on the plant, and some of the other fruit which are now setting are taking on the Roma shape. How does this happen?? Is it because the first fruit sometimes grow crazy due to lack of competition for nutrients on the plant from other fruit?? I am well aware that if any crossing has happened with the Grosse Lisse plants the characteristics wouldn't be visible until second generation plants are grown from seeds taken from the fruit in question..

Ciao Tom-

It could very well be an environmental cause, especially since you're now seeing the plum shape. I've seen this with my pastes, sometimes getting fat or even round ones to start out and then once the weather settles, they show the more 'true' traits. If you're saving seeds, do so from 'true-looking' fruit, but you still want the earliest ones before the pollinators are out in full force. Blossom End Rot and phosphorus-deficiency purple undersides on the leaves are other environmental observations that go away with consistent watering and mellowed out weather.

Your plants look great. I agree that the shape could be enviromental. I have had some pretty odd looking fruits in the early season. It's nice to look at some beautiful plants as I wait to start my seeds. I don't start mine until March 1, so still time to finalize what I will grow. I already have about 20 new varieties to try as well as the ones that I loved from previous year. I grow mostly heirlooms but do try a few hybrids as well if they are interesting.

jacob

Nice looking tomato plants, I also agree with Sorellina, Last year I was getting some weird shaped tomatoes last year until the weather evened out. Your plants are nice and lush though and I'm sure you will be getting some nice harvests soon.

Hey thanks everyone for the kind words.. It would make sense that the random shaped tomatoes are caused by environmental things, as we have experienced some pretty random weather all spring/summer.

Sorellina said:
Blossom End Rot and phosphorus-deficiency purple undersides on the leaves are other environmental observations that go away with consistent watering and mellowed out weather.

Thanks for the advice Sorellina. Just out of curiosity, if I were to give them a feed of some sort of fert containing decent amounts of phosphorus would that eliminate the purple leave problem?? I'm not too worried about the leaf curl and purple undersides too much as the plants are still producing, just interested!

The purple leaves are more an issue of the phosphorus not being available due to cooler temps. Doesn't mean it's not in the soil. It will go away once the temps stabilize in my experience.

jacob

Back