• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Some Powders

Thanks everyone.

I think it does, I know i can taste it. I dry the peppers 100% in the smoker, i don't move them to a dehydrator after. Not sure if that changes the taste.
TPGM,
I would like to try smoking some this year, but I'm not at all familiar with the process of smoking peppers.Is there a smoker designed specifically for doing peppers...? How long does it take for them to dry as compared to a dehydrator?
Any and all insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...
CM

TPGM,
I would like to try smoking some this year, but I'm not at all familiar with the process of smoking peppers.Is there a smoker designed specifically for doing peppers...? How long does it take for them to dry as compared to a dehydrator?
Any and all insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...
CM

I bought this smoker a year or two ago. I cut the peppers in half and smoke them at 140 - 200 degrees for anywhere from 6 - 12 hours, removing as they dry. Typically closer to the higher end of that estimate because i like to smoke at lower temps. I usually dry peppers in my dehydrator for about 16 - 18 hours around 130 degrees.

Thanks for the info TPGM.
I've looked at that type of smoker before and considered asking Santa for one...I might just have to pick one up for this pepper season.(Mrs Claus is pretty nice to me year round)
Thanks again!
CM

Thanks for the info TPGM.
I've looked at that type of smoker before and considered asking Santa for one...I might just have to pick one up for this pepper season.(Mrs Claus is pretty nice to me year round)
Thanks again!
CM

The one i linked to seems to go on sale a lot, don't buy it full price. I think I got it for $170 delivered. Amazon had free shipping + no sales tax. Masterbilt customer service is awesome too. Mine arrived with a broken part, I called and they sent a free replacement part without any hassle what so ever. Good company, nice entry level smoker.

:beer:

Hi I'm new to the Forum and I'm so excited that I found it. I'm always griding up my dried peppers and even carry a small shaker in my purse. I've only dried the Cayenne and the Thai Sun peppers but planning on experimenting with other varieties this fall. I just placed my seed order and but wondered which peppers make the best powder? I love hot foods but not Ghost Pepper hot (even though I did order them too). Thanks! HotPepperGirl
Mix some of your ghost pepper powder in with the others you grow, it will give it a nice bump in heat. And :welcome: to the forum.

Perfect day for grinding some of my dried peppers from 2010.

Left to right -
1 - Apple wood smoked Caribbean red & apple wood smoked orange habanero
2 – Apple wood smoked Caribbean red & apple wood smoked orange habanero, chocolate bhut jolokia and red bhut jolokia
3 and 4 – Jamaican yellow, chocolate habanero and red bhut jolokia.

The big one top is just orange habanero.

img_4003.jpg

I love smoked CR's... What a nice add on to your favorite dish you have. Beautiful and delicious!

:onfire:

the smoked peppers are awsome! looks like you got a good batch this time. buddy sent me his smoked blend. it was incredible. haven't had goose island in a while! i grew up in chicago. some of my old friends sent me a case when that brewery got well known. one of my favorite ipa's along with dogfishhead 90 minute and stone breweries ipa. good stuff.

Back