• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Some Sort of Brazilian Hot Pepper

Does anyone know what the name of this pepper is?  When I got the plant from my local nursery, they were unsure of the type of pepper, but said it had good flavor & good heat.  I'll let you know about the heat level later when I try it, as these are the first two off the plant.

BrazilianHotPepper_zpsf08198f1.jpg

The peppers themselves are similar in shape, size & final color (orange) to my Tabasco peppers (the first one turned orange yesterday) & the heat level is similar to a Habanero.  The main difference between these peppers & the Tabasco is that the Tabasco is slightly larger with a more rounded "point" than the Brazilian.  Here are two shots of the leaves:

BrazilianHotPepper2_zps166c8387.jpg

BrazilianHotPepper1_zps7ed63589.jpg

it looks like a Frutescens species

it looks alot like one i grew last year  PI 406847 (Called "CHUNPEPE" locally in Honduras) from what i know it also grows in many parts of S.A. including Brazil

thanks your friend Joe

Here's another tidbit I now remember from my local produce stand where I got the plant.  A few weeks back I asked the guy if he ever identified what pepper this was & he showed me a seed package that had a name I couldn't remember...until today when researching ajijoe's "CHUNPEPE" response.  Here's what I found (& it aligns with the name I saw on that seed package) - Malagueta peppers.  Here's a link to it: http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Malagueta-pepper.cfm.

I think we have an answer... :party:

ZeekyBanutski said:
Here's another tidbit I now remember from my local produce stand where I got the plant.  A few weeks back I asked the guy if he ever identified what pepper this was & he showed me a seed package that had a name I couldn't remember...until today when researching ajijoe's "CHUNPEPE" response.  Here's what I found (& it aligns with the name I saw on that seed package) - Malagueta peppers.  Here's a link to it: http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Malagueta-pepper.cfm.

I think we have an answer... :party:
Malagueta makes perfect scene to me as the name is Portuguese and that's the main language spoken in Brazil, its a good pepper my friend grows it every year its also known as PIRI PIRI (not the African devil type though) also if it is Malaguetta its not the Chunpepe its a separate species

thanks your friend Joe

Back