Something is Pruning and Topping My Plant! I FOUND THE CULPRIT. New Pic Update in OP

there's not much more damage the culprit can do now since there are no more leaves...  if anything the culprit was killed by me, or is somewhere else...

MiChris said:
Plus, I've never seen cutworms (and that looks like what your other culprit is) do damage that far up the plant. They usually focus on the stem right at the dirt line. Not saying they doin't go higher up I just have never seen it myself.
To say that you've never seen cutworms do that kind of damage, is to say that you are fortunate to not have much experience with them. Not only is this type of damage common, it's typical. Cutworms - while preferring fruits- generally go for the most tender plant tissue available. They tend to work at night, early morning, or just after a rain. (watering will bring them out) If there are sprouted seedlings, a small worm eats leaves, a larger worm eats the entire plant down to the ground. They bore holes in tomatoes, cut tracks in corn, and yes, will completely defoliate plants like peppers or melons.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
That little guy did that much damage?! I thought I was the only one who could destroy an all you can eat buffet like that... :shocked:
The bad thing about cutworms, is that they will burrow into the soil, and take up residence, often returning to the same plant over and over. They are extremely destructive for their size, and it can be very difficult to find small worms on small plants.

If it is/was Cutworms, this is from The Old Farmer's Almanac

How to get rid of Cutworms
  • In the spring, emerging cutworms will be waiting to feast on your garden. Cut off their food supply by delaying transplanting or planting by a couple weeks if possible.
  • Put barriers, such as stiff paper or cardboard collars, around plant stems to help stop cutworms from reaching tender stems, especially right at transplanting.
  • Circle stems with diatomaceous earth or crushed eggshells.
  • Sprinkle used coffee grounds around your plants.
  • Apply an insecticide late in the afternoon for best control.
  • Keep up with cultivation. The moths prefer to lay eggs in high grass and weeds. At the end of the season, plow or till the garden and mow surrounding areas to expose cutworms and destroy their winter habitat.

Back