• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense something that tastely like habanero, less spicy?

Hey guys,

a few days ago I was reading tons of forums online and came across a post where somebody recommended another pepper that had the same 'floral' characteristics as habanero, but was less spicy.

I like habanero's just fine, but it's killing me that I cannot recall this post and what kind of pepper it suggested.

So does anybody know of a pepper that has a similar taste as a Hab but is less spicy?

Thanks!
Ryan

Thanks. That's interesting.
actually different than the one I was originally looking for but I am happy to learn about any varieties :)

I think the one I was originally looking for is actually the Trinidad Perfume. I will look into it some more and let you know.

btw I currently have 2 habanero's in DWC together. Might try some of these mild varities just for fun!

The Trinidad perfume is supposed to taste similar to a hab but with very mild heat. At least that is what I have read also and heard from when I had asked the guys on here about it. I personally haven't grown it yet but I plan to for next year as I recently received some seeds from one of the members here.

Zavory is another one I believe. This year I had an overwintered plant that I got from my uncle last year labeled as 'Hottie' that was an orange hab with around half the heat. Still rips pretty good, maybe a tad above cayenne heat, but has a hab taste filled with sweet, fresh fruity tastes as well. One of my faves from this year.

Edit: I believe the new mexico chili pepper institute also has some mild ones that they label 'Suave'. They have them in a few varieties.

I think Aji Dulce is another Chinense without the heat. I saw them for sale in the spring from either Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) or seed saver exchange for around $3 a pack with cheap shipping. I was thinking about growing some next year to blend into a habanero sauce, to make one milder but with full hab flavor.

pepperlover has 2 that may interest you.
tobago seasoning and trinidad cherry - i think they are a new offering from her for this year.

i can help

go to my thread in MARKETPLACE go to SEEDS AND HOT PEPPERS the thread is called AJIJOE'S SUPER SEED SALE
you may like what you see
thanks your friend joe

The CPI sells seeds for something called NuMex Suave Red. The pods are fairly large and "floppy" looking like a Mustard or Chocolate Hab.

The one I tried looked, smelled, and tasted like a habanero type but had virtually no heat at all so you could use them for their flavor but you'd have to add something else if you actually wanted any heat.

I think they have an orange version too.

I think Aji Dulce is another Chinense without the heat. I saw them for sale in the spring from either Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) or seed saver exchange for around $3 a pack with cheap shipping. I was thinking about growing some next year to blend into a habanero sauce, to make one milder but with full hab flavor.

YA im planning on growing these next year as well.
Will be doing 3
mild varietes.

Suave hab
Aji dulce
Nu Mex heritage 6-4

This year I grew some of the hottest,
but I want stuff I can cook with on a daily basis, and friends/ family can eat. Also some chili's I can get some friends and family growing at thier houses to have a few off site gardens.

Yellow bird/cumari

yellowb16.jpg

Has anyone actually grown a mild C. chinenses type that had habanero or similar type flavor? I've grown most of the mild types but I find with less heat you almost always get less chinenses flavor

Has anyone actually grown a mild C. chinenses type that had habanero or similar type flavor? I've grown most of the mild types but I find with less heat you almost always get less chinenses flavor

Potawie, I've had a good experience with the T. Perfumes, especially towards the end of my season. The chinense flavor has been rather strong. Very odd experience truthfully. It's just wierd to have that flavor with no heat behind it, but they've outdone all of my real SB's when it comes to accenting my rice and peas.

The first two that come to mind are the Red and Orange Sauve, very "habish" scent and flav, with little or no heat. Next inline would be the one I chose and grow every year, and that would be the "Aji Dulce" (Venezolano).....great flav and small bite of heat, for those of you who are faint-hearted...this would be the one to plant...

Greg

I have several types I like but not really much of a hab taste in any of them although sometimes you get that hint ofC. chinenses that makes you think the heat is coming

Back