• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Something trying to eat jalapenos leaves and fruits

Hi!

After you helped me to deal with small parasites, the big one arrived :) Making holes next to the steam and consuming leaves :/// I'm in hot Thailand, but we had some rains and snails are increasing in population. Any other ideas? How would you recommend preventing this?

Thank you!!!
Ilya

Attachments

• photo_2019-10-20_17-41-08.jpg
    photo_2019-10-20_17-41-08.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 77
  • photo_2019-10-20_17-41-05.jpg
    photo_2019-10-20_17-41-05.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 67
  • photo_2019-10-20_17-41-03.jpg
    photo_2019-10-20_17-41-03.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
Looks like small hornworm damage. Although they don't usually eat pods till they are big or no/few leaves left. But could be some type of beetle also. My bet hornworms.

Look at nite with uv light, that makes most larger insects glow and easy to pick off. In the daytime hornworms fit in/camouflaged so good with the stems/leaves very difficult to find small ones although it can be done. Look carefully all around the area with the holes/damaged leafs. Look under leafs in damaged area, look where leaf meets stem, look at nodes close to damaged areas. They seem to like new growth areas on top. Look, You'll find them and no need for pesticides, they all can be picked off in small/medium gardens.

But find them quickly. They grow massive very fast and medium to big ones can strip a plant of leafs in a day or 2.

jmo

Oh mama! Just checked at night. Poor plants are attacked by snails.... Picked them by hand, put beer traps but would really prefer to kill them effectively. They will literally ruin the plants. What pesticide would you recommend?

Ilya

Back