• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Sontava: Marie Sharps relabeled?

I just recieved 3 bottles of Marie Sharps Hot sauce from SweatnSpice ( thanks Nick!) and compared it with the Sontava ( imported by local company here Jardines) that I buy in the supermarkets here. Now Marie Sharps has been, in my mind, the BEST hot sauce I've ever had , ever since a friend of mine brought some back from Belize. I can't find it locally, so I e-ordered some.

Now that I compare them I get a sneaky suspicion that SONTAVA is a re-label of Marie Sharps. They are both made in Belize and both list the exact same ingredients. Darned if I can taste the difference!

Anyone know the lowdown? I'm going to call jardine's office tomorrow but I doubt they're gonna want to level with me..."trade secrets" and all.

chuk hell said:
I just recieved 3 bottles of Marie Sharps Hot sauce from SweatnSpice ( thanks Nick!) and compared it with the Sontava ( imported by local company here Jardines) that I buy in the supermarkets here. Now Marie Sharps has been, in my mind, the BEST hot sauce I've ever had , ever since a friend of mine brought some back from Belize. I can't find it locally, so I e-ordered some.

Now that I compare them I get a sneaky suspicion that SONTAVA is a re-label of Marie Sharps. They are both made in Belize and both list the exact same ingredients. Darned if I can taste the difference!

Anyone know the lowdown? I'm going to call jardine's office tomorrow but I doubt they're gonna want to level with me..."trade secrets" and all.

Oh now this is really getting fun.

I had learned a long time ago that Marie Sharp's is also Melinda's although, Melinda's is now made by the same company that makes Dave's Gourmet and Jump up and Kiss me brands at Alimentos Kamuk in Costa Rica.

According to my research though, Jardine's is in Austin Texas and they import Sontava from Belize. That said, Marie Sharp is originally from Belize, (Belizean Heat).

Connection? Methinks you're onto something, chuk.

Is anyone else here made by Kamuk? Sheesh who don't they private label for?

T.

Once upon a time (story has it)....
The founder of Melinda's used to work for Marie's and left with a few recipes in had.

Not sure on the Sontava deal - but your right, could be the exact same sauce.

Hombre said:
Just found this old Thread and wanted to add something to it.
Last Week I have gotten some Hot sauces that I did not know and one of them was Cuter Dan’s WIDOW MAKER brand habanero XX hot sauce.
It seems to be the same as Sontava , it has the same ingredients and is also a product of belize.
So I think it is the same with this sauce.

Greetings from Germany

Hombre

Hey hombre...If I am not mistaking D. L. Jardines has numerous labels such as Cutter Dan's, Sontava, and others plus they do a lot of private labels. I get tickled when you go into a small town in Texas and go shopping in the historic district and Jardines is in every store on the town square...Nothing like saturating the market...but I guess they got there money.

Back