trade Sorellina's 2008 Trade List

Ciao all-

I thought I'd put my trade list here even though I know most of you have already started your seeds. I don't have any pepper seeds, but I do have an extensive collection of tomatoes and basils, plus flowers. See if anything appeals to you. I thought this might be a way to expand my husband's pepper collection as well, since he's still mostly new at it.

The number beside the name indicates how many trades I have left. Happy looking!

Heirloom Tomatoes

Mountain Princess - 2
Black Plum - 1
Azoychka - 4
Black From Tula - 2
Jaune Flammee - 2
Black Cherry - 3
Manyel - 2
Green Zebra - 1
Yellow Brandywine Platfoot Strain - 4
Brandywine Sudduth - 1
Banana Legs - 3
Borgo Cellano - 2
Orange Banana - 2
Wonder Lights - 2
Mirabelle Multiflora - 3
Sandul Moldovan - 2
White Queen - 4
Ceylon - 2
Old Ivory Egg - 2
Citron Compact - 1
Pink Ping Pong - 3
Indian Stripe - 1
Slovenian Black - 3
Martino's Roma - out
Livingston's Gold Ball - 3
Alladin's Lamp - 2
Thessoloniki - 1
Heidi - 3
Bicolour Cherry - 4
Nyagous - 3
Lattanzio Pendulous - 4
King Humbert - 2
Czech's Bush - 2
Purple Calabash - 3

Some Flowers for Trade (still getting organized here):

Mixed Branching Sunflowers 5 Feet Tall - 6
Blue Columbine - 7
Cosmos Sensation - 7
Blue, Pink, White Mixed Bachelor Buttons - 6
Malva Zebrina - 9
Yellow and White 4 O'clocks - 7
White Obedient Plant - 8

Basils for Trade (please note, these are self-saved seeds, sow more than you need as they may not all be viable and they may be crossed):

Anise - 1
Cinnamon - 1
Sweet - 5
Genovese - 1
Dark Opal - 1

Tomatoes I'm Looking For:

Wolford's Wonder
Magnus
Trucker's Favourite
Sutton
Napoli
Franchi Semealte
Pink Accordian
Green Bell Pepper
Brown Flesh
Holy Land
Mark Twain
Matt d'Imperio
Rideau Sweet
Peace Yellow Paste
Tiger Paw
Any odd-shaped ones not listed here
Any colourful pastes not listed here
Any Canadian ones not listed here

Looking For Hot Peppers:

Yellow Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Peach Habanero
Aji Dulce #2
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
King of the North
Tunisian Baklouti
Roberto's Cuban Seasoning
Wenk's Yellow Hots
Red Cap Mushroom
Royal Black
Alma Paprika
Chervena Chushka
Balloon
Brazilian Starfish
Annie Ornamental
Bhut Jalokia
Naga Morich
Caribbean Red Habanero
Golden Cayenne (new source)
Purple Jalapeno (new source)
Trinidad Scorpion

Flowers I'm Looking For:

Sweet Peas
Pincushion Flower (scabiosa)
Sunflowers
Nasturtiums
Cosmos
Love in a Mist (nigella)

Especially, but not limited to these colours: White, Very Dark Purple, Very Dark Blue, Chocolate, and Burgundy

I also like all variety of climbing pole beans, runner beans (particularly Sunset Runner), summer and winter squashes, white cucumbers (particularly Boothby Blonde), and unusual basils.

Ciao Sydtunes-

I have San Marzano Redorta, San Marzano Nano, and San Marzano Gigante, all open-pollinated so save seeds to your heart's content if you wish. Which one(s) do you want?

Which type of San Marzano do you prefer? The basic ones I grow aren't very produvtive but great flavor.

Ciao Potawie-

We always grew Nano when I was growing up. Those are about the size as your basic Roma, excellent for canning whole or processing for sauce. I've actually had very good production with all of these but I always grow a row of 6 red pastes every year so I'm sure to have my 'sauce machine' covered. Both Redorta and Gigante are larger ones, about the same size as Opalka. I guess it depends on what you want to use them for. I find Opalka and the larger pastes to be a bit troublesome for canning whole so I like to use a smaller one like King Humbert or another Roma-sized paste for that and leave the Opalkas and other large pastes for dicing and pureeing.

Does that answer your question?

I mostly make sauce out my paste tomatoes and have found the san marzano and opalkas to be my favs, but Opalkas grow so much better for me.
Another question, do you ferment your seeds? I've never saved tom seeds and just wondered how important fermenting is?

Ciao Potawie-

Yes, I ferment my seeds. The fermentation method is said to "cook" off any viruses that may be harbouring in the seed coat, as well as getting rid of the gel around the seeds, of course. The process, when done correctly, produces heat under anaerobic conditions. A fungal mat forms over the seeds and juice from the tomato (add no water or your seeds may germinate) after 3-5 days. The smelly mess is stirred, the fungal mat (along with a few seeds sticking to the underside) is poured off. Water is added and poured off carefully until clear and no gel residue remains. Clean seeds are poured onto a paper plate (to wick moisture), labelled, and stored in a cool dark place until dry. I keep my seeds in paper coin envelopes in a Lee Valley binder. I can find them easily in a bookshelf and the seeds are dry and out of the light. When stored like this, tomato seeds can remain viable for 15 years or more. A word about bugs: for those of you who may be squeamish to crawly fruit fly larvae (like me), by all means, keep your container of tomato seeds and juice COVERED to prevent the inevitable bug nightmare from invading and seriously grossing you out.

When we make sauce we just usually by the bushells of Roma tomatoes that the stores in the area have for sale. But a friend of mine said that he loves using the San Marzano tomatoes for his sauce. I've never tried them so I'm open to whatever. I'll PM you my address. Thanks:)

Back