• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sorry another ?

Ok, so have another question? My habanero's that popped 3 days ago are starting to take a turn. Have read on here it could be over watering or too much light? The problem is they're now starting to get dark purple stems and bending over. Any help on this would be great. Gonna add a link so ya'll can see the worst I'm talking about.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o559/Boost313/IMG_20120305_224417.jpg

I'd love to hear the answers. I have 17 seedlings and one of them started looking just like that. Now it looks like someone held a magnifying glass to it until it shriveled up and died.

Just give it lots of close light! Only water when the top of the soil starts to dry out a bit! If you follow these two things you will see the difference!!! You should give the seedlings 24/7 close light for at least a week! Btw what kind of light you using?

Yeah...how close are your lights? How hot are they getting? Is there a fan on them? The purple stems are not a big deal, the bending worries me. Are the Cotyledons wrinkled or deformed? Could be too much heat. Hard to tell without a complete photo...they may just be bending toward the lights??? If that's the case nothing to worry about there either.
Good luck!
Shane

I'd love to hear the answers. I have 17 seedlings and one of them started looking just like that. Now it looks like someone held a magnifying glass to it until it shriveled up and died.

That one damped off...which is a good point for Boost. Don't water them again until they're really dry just to be safe.

Strange. It almost looks like it's bending for light, but since you say the stem is purpling I'm beginning to doubt that. Try turning the cup 180 degrees and see if it bends the opposite way. Then you will know that it is just reaching for the light.

Looks like too much water. I'd ease up on the water. It's bending towards its light source. I just rotate my plants that do that.

Hey thanks for all the good info. A I water about every 3 days or when cups feel dry. An as for lighting it's a 4 bulb 400 watt equivelant fixture with 6,500k bulbs about 5 1/2-6" high off them. A the thermostat in the area say's about 74 deg fan off and 68-70 with fan on. An yea had read purpling stems were fine it's just the bending that worries me. So I'll hold off on watering a bit more. An thanks all.

I was worried about the 2 out of 12 scores that didn't have purple stems. Then realized they were also the only 2 that didn't shed the seed husk? Managed to pry a husk off 1 just now but the other is stubborn. Curious if the one that came off will turn purple now. I'm within an inch of light but it's only a T5HO.

The purple usually indicates too much light. It's possible the lean is the cotyledons trying to escape the light. Back your light off a couple more inches and see what happens.

Appreciate that patrick. I did raise it up last night after reading nmorris had one that looked similiar. An his turned out looking like it was burnt with a magnifying glass. Long story short when I got home this evening they looked alot better. Gotta love this site makes a noobs first year from seed maybe promising.

I have to say, my method of putting my seedlings on my dashboard during the day has created magnificent plants. You cannot really go wrong with applying natural sunlight to the plants. As long as you regulate the interior temp of the car by making sure to crack the windows, you will get the appropriate light. I bottom water every day to saturation. Even at 30 degrees outside I get mid 80's in the car, and they seem to be thriving.

Appreciate that patrick. I did raise it up last night after reading nmorris had one that looked similiar. An his turned out looking like it was burnt with a magnifying glass. Long story short when I got home this evening they looked alot better. Gotta love this site makes a noobs first year from seed maybe promising.

That's great Boost313 and thanks for the follow up. Only way we can find out if any suggestions helped.

Back