• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Sowed Some Pepper Seeds Today :)

I took the plunge and sowed some C. Pubescens seeds today. Lots of very interesting ones. I swore to myself I would wait until March to some my main crop, but I couldn't resist. This species is SO hard to grow to maturity in my climate that you need every advantage possible. I plant out in early June. 17-18 weeks seems like an eternity, but many times this species doesn't even set a pod so who knows.

I started daydreaming about being able to grow every single variety of C. Pubescens I have. If only I had acres and acres of land and all the time in the world. :)

I'll report on how germination goes....

Chris

I didn't write a list to post, but 35+ varieties. Many oddities from Peru, Bolivia, and local supermarket finds myself or friends made. A big focus is on extremely large ones or freakish looking types. I'm even growing a brown one!

Chris

The weather has been so brutal in Michigan this year. Just pure crap. Depressing as hell to see 3-6" of snow every few days and 0 degree temps. It's the worst I can remember in a long time honestly.

cmpman1974 said:
The weather has been so brutal in Michigan this year. Just pure crap. Depressing as hell to see 3-6" of snow every few days and 0 degree temps. It's the worst I can remember in a long time honestly.

Sorry to hear that bro...

I'll be sure to down a beer for you in this 28C weather today, in fact, the minimum high for the next 7 days is 28C :)

I'll be interested to see how your pubescens go. I should have fruit from the following this season:

Rocoto Peron
Manzano Red
Manzano Orange
Rocoto de San Isidro
Rocopica
Turbo Pube
Aji Rocoto (PI 355812)

Still looking for some Ecuadorian Red Pepper From Hell seeds too.

We don't get hard frosts here (shouldnt anyway), so in theory I can probably grow pubescens all year round.

will be interesting to see how long they take...I am going to plant my manzanos next weekend...

cmpman1974 said:
I took the plunge and sowed some C. Pubescens seeds today. Lots of very interesting ones. I swore to myself I would wait until March to some my main crop, but I couldn't resist. This species is SO hard to grow to maturity in my climate that you need every advantage possible. I plant out in early June. 17-18 weeks seems like an eternity, but many times this species doesn't even set a pod so who knows.

I started daydreaming about being able to grow every single variety of C. Pubescens I have. If only I had acres and acres of land and all the time in the world. :)

I'll report on how germination goes....

Chris

Just curious. Is this you're favorite type of pepper? Even more so than Chinense? I'm actually going to try some Rocoto this year for the first time and not really sure what to expect.

cmpman1974 said:

Ya gotta be kidding. Except for how it feels to us humans, this is perfect for the ground, especially if the snow melts slowly into the ground, then it freezes nice and hard.

I hate cold weather but this has been great - the insects have had to go deeper underground, the dirt has frozen several inches deep, aphids by the millions are hopefully freezing to death.

Mike

Back