• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Space Heater For Germination?

Yes, you can say that I'm mechanically inclined. So much so, that I work with computers all day to find something at least challenging to me.

Alabama Jack, I'm going to say that you where ripping on my t12 fixtures without saying anything about them. Yes, I know I can get many more lumens per watt utilizing CLF bulbs. Could you tell me more about your fast grow area? I'd have and continue to consider adding more lumens per square foot, but where do we see diminishing returns? I'm already at (4ft 40w x 8) 320 watts of ancient technology and I certainly don't want to draw even half of your 3.5kW. I've always changed the distance from the lamp, but never set up multiple areas.

I should get rid of those nasty old tables if I decided to build an enclosure but so far I've been holding off on a new table for now. I might do the space blanket walls with 2x2 framing. At least, that's what I was considering last year.

whoa Nick...I wasn't ripping on anything man...I use 4 T-12 shop light fixtures in my germinator (2 in each of the 2' X 2' X 4' chambers) and have 18 of them in my slow grow area (6 per 8' 20" wide shelf)...so please don't think I was being critical...I was just offering another way to do things man...and there are lots of ways to skin a cat...

my "fast grow" area is a grow box 4' square and 6' tall inside...it has three 6 light fixtures in it and each fixture has three 6500K and 3 2700K bulbs in it...you have to remember, I have been trying to do a commercial grow and sell seedlings in the spring for the past several years but this coming year will be different...won't start near as many seeds as the 4,000 plus I started last year...

here is a pic I posted earlier this year of my "growrage"...I am running T-12s everywhere except in my growbox and work areas that double as grow areas...

panaramagrowrage02-08-11.jpg

the growbox is in the middle of the picture in the corner...

here is another shot...I originally had 4 T-12 shop light fixtures in it but transformed it to CFL lighting...

010511a001.jpg

and a shot of it "lit up"...

010511a002.jpg

I will never criticize someone elses work...if suggestions are asked for, I may suggest or say what I use, but please don't ever think I am saying my way is right...you have to use what works for YOU and is within your budget...I built all of this stuff before I retired from Lockheed Martin...

That's cool, thanks for sharing! We used to do a few hundred plants when I was a kid. I'm still looking for a place to call home that has a slightly larger yard. The property I rent has two mature trees in the back yard and not much room to plant. I've never considered selling any, mainly because you folks down south have such a better climate to do that than myself. I actually did a study on raising tilapia (fish) during college and figured out quickly that I'd have to move to Texas or Florida to be competitive.

Here's what has worked great for me. I placed my seeds to germinate on top of my grow lights. Just make sure drip proof your growing media ! I used the small water tray from my smoker to diffuse heat from the ballast. The water was warmed and then went on the seedlings. Do not place the seedlings directly on the ballast.

Back