Speaking of crossing peppers, unstable hybrids, Y not more?

As a chili grower I love to give and receive chili seeds from friends who isolate and don't isolate.  We generally want stable hybrids if there are any because we want to continue growing the chilies from seeds we produce.

But I am more amazed that there are not more seed producers who are not selling more F1 hybrid chilies of the superhot variety.

If you go to major seed sellers like Burpee, you'll see many hybrid chilies for sale, these are unstable, yet millions of people buy them knowing they won't be able to use the seeds they produce next year and get the same chilies.

Is it that we, particularly we who grow superhots, would refuse to buy superhot chili seeds that we can't use next year?  Is it because those who grow these types of chilies don't want to go through the work of producing these seeds?

It's just a curiosity of mine.  Anyone please weigh in.

hot stuff said:
If you go to major seed sellers like Burpee, you'll see many hybrid chilies for sale, these are unstable, yet millions of people buy them knowing they won't be able to use the seeds they produce next year and get the same chilies.
Red part is not necessarily true. Let's be honest - the vast majority of people don't really read packages (or anything else, for that matter), and even if they do, they don't realize what some of the stuff on the label means. Plus, most casual growers don't save seeds - they just go buy new seed packs each year. Instead, they look at the pictures on the seed packs, like how one looks, and buy it.
Case in point: When I selected plants for my front bed, I specifically looked for plants that took full sun, as the front of my house gets no shade whatsoever. I also selected plants that didn't require heavy amounts of water. One type of plant I selected is Russian Sage. I was out running one day and stopped to talk with a neighbor a few streets over because he was putting Russian Sage in his yard. His street gets shade nearly all day long because of the humongous (very old and very tall) trees along that street. I asked if he knew that Russian Sage requires full sun, and he sighed heavily - "yes, but my wife wanted them, so we got them." 'Nuff said. A comparison of theirs against mine - Mine get so big each year that they hide my Japanese maple and the front steps to the house. I have to give them a very severe pruning each year (to no more than a foot tall), yet they still get just as big each year. Theirs? I've never seen theirs much taller than my knees. 

Also, the fact is that some seeds do produce the same chiles in the following year, or there never would be a stable hybrid. While the majority revert, some do not.

hot stuff said:
Is it that we, particularly we who grow superhots, would refuse to buy superhot chili seeds that we can't use next year? Is it because those who grow these types of chilies don't want to go through the work of producing these seeds?

Yes and no. If you read through the threads here, you'll find that you can classify growers into 4 basic types - casual growers, those intent on keeping chiles "pure", those who like to intentionally mix things up, and those who are more serious growers (keep themselves well-informed about growing) yet aren't concerned about whether a cross occurs or not. Different strokes for different folks - it's all good!

Hey glad to see you back!

I'm just surprised there aren't more seed sellers selling super hot f1 crosses seeing how all the big seed sellers sell mostly f1 crosses of a lot of their peppers.

geeme said:

Also, the fact is that some seeds do produce the same chiles in the following year, or there never would be a stable hybrid. While the majority revert, some do not.

Isn't the term "stable hybrid" an oxymoron? Once a hybrid (F1 cross) has gone through inbreeding to stabilize it's genetics, isn't it no longer considered a hybrid and instead called a variety or a PI?

Back