• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Special delivery from the mailman today...

So since I started my seeds less than a month ago, I decided to order a few other varieties that had already been started... When they arrived today I was pleasantly surprised to see that 3 out of 7 already had pods growing. The bad part is, we are currently under a Tropical Storm warning so these little guys are going to be hanging out in the garage for a day or so... hopefully they will have no problems.

Back row left to right: Butch T, Butch T, 7Pot, 7Pot
Front row left to right: Red Savina, Naga VIPER, and T.S. Morouga Red
image_zpsdae9fbb4.jpeg

Red Savina Pod 
image_1_zpsa5d93d6c.jpeg

VIPER not looking to hot but has multiple pods already...
image_2_zpsdaff6914.jpeg

7Pot pod coming in ...
image_3_zpsa37ca1b2.jpeg

I know you'd probably get 10 different opinions on this, but my personal preference is never to let a plant start putting on pods when they are still so small.  If they were my plants I'd probably let the pods that are current set finish out, but pinch and new flowers and top the plants to encourage new robust growth and more potential for pods.  Especially here in Florida with the long growing season.

KingLeerUK said:
I know you'd probably get 10 different opinions on this, but my personal preference is never to let a plant start putting on pods when they are still so small.  If they were my plants I'd probably let the pods that are current set finish out, but pinch and new flowers and top the plants to encourage new robust growth and more potential for pods.  Especially here in Florida with the long growing season.

I agree!!!! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b3_lVSrPB6w

KingLeerUK said:

Do you have any particular tutorial or instructions on properly topping? I would screw it up if I try without researching.

Again, you'll probably get half a dozen different opinions on topping methods, or whether to even top at all.

If is was me...

mii1rc.jpg

Make a clean, non-pinching cut just above the leaf joint.

coheed196 said:
Thanks a lot. After reading that I plan to do some pruning and topping. By chance does anyone know how big the sarina pod should be to chop it off and be edible?
Bob_B said:
I personally would cut the pods and lower leaves that touch the soil.
They'll be fine.
What is the advantage of chopping off the bottom leavs that touch the soil? Is it for disease prevention?

fupalooter said:
What is the advantage of chopping off the bottom leavs that touch the soil? Is it for disease prevention?
Yes, that's where the nasties come from. They can splash up onto the leaves also. That's part of the reason that some people mulch, to prevent dirt from splashing up.

Back