misc Spice Jar Sealing

Hi all, once again I come to you, the experts in helping me understand how to best seal spice jars. What kind of processing is required for dry spices?

Thanks

-"Jake"

For commercial or home? For commercial, it still needs to be processed/bottled in a commercial kitchen, unless your state (area) allows home bottling of spices (some allow spices, jams, and other snacks). Plastic spice bottles need to be EtO sterilized or irradiated. Ingredients must be 100% dry. Any water or liquid and you get into environments for botulism. If it is totally dry in a sterile jar, then you really don't need to do much more. Air tight seal keeps it fresher, and tamper proof seal is a professional touch. Does this help?

When you purchase plastic bottles, it will tell you what type of sterilization the bottle will accept. It will be either EtO, radiation, or autoclave, or, a combination. Most will not take straight boiling, so you should probably use glass to keep costs down. Just make sure they are totally dry.

The botulism will thrive in oxygenless areas. In other words, dry spices are usually okay unless they are packed in oil or have a build up of a liquid.

this guy on a bbq forum i am on uses these

NewSpiceBag.jpg

Back