• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spice Warfare: Green or Ripe?

of course ripe would produce an overall better flavour, just due to the sugar content. but don't rule out green peppers for flavour. i don't eat green annumms, i have tried them and don't prefer them as they lack the heat content. last year i found some scotch bonnet peppers imported from mexico and of course there were some unripe pods included(green), my predujice was totally against green peppers(except green bell) and thought it a waste of money. but when i tasted the green version, i have to admit.... i really liked their heat and flavour combination. so it just goes to show, taste your peppers first and see if they are giving you the desired flavour.

It really depends upon what you are cooking whether you use chiles green or ripe.
Making salsa verde, use green chiles.
Making salsa rojo, use ripe chiles.

I believe peak heat is just before or just at full ripeness although the pods may taste a bit hotter when "mature green" since there is far less sugars

i want really hot peppers. this s a big controversy, because some site have mentioned they are hotter when green, not red. and some of you are saying red is hotter. which is it? lol

While ripening some of the Capsaicin is converted into sugars, but the production of Capsaicin is still active while ripening... so... if a pod is left on plant for too long, I think it would lose some heat, but you know it's ain't the hot stuff if it ain't ripe.

Back