• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Really peach bhuts are awesome! Next year i'm able to grow both them and Jay's Ghots (possibily Peach, or Red). Since if i have understood well they're not terribly prolific but tastes great i think to plant more of them than each of the rest if i have spare place. ;)

Spicegeist said:
Here are pods from three different F2 plants (where you see a lot of diversity) of my Cumari do Para x Donne Sali:

The yellow really seem like a cross between both of them, they're just very yellow.  The orange are like little golden Donne Salis, they're very hot.  The reds have definitely inherited more of the chinense genes, the plant grows like a monster and the pods are crunchier and :hot: .

Inside the reds, so you can see how it looks more chinense-like:

I'd love to have more help growing these out in 2015, just let me know if you're interested.
Hey, Charles, your grow is awesome!  Some wonderful pics of some unique and
interesting varieties.  Very nice.

I'd love to grow out one of the C d P x DS.  The 'small pod' plants seem to do well here.  
Right now I have c. chacoense, c. galapagoense, Wild Brazil, Charapita, Datil, and
Cheiro Recife.  Anyway, I am interested in being included if you so desire.  Thanks for
the offer.

PaulG said:
Hey, Charles, your grow is awesome!  Some wonderful pics of some unique and
interesting varieties.  Very nice.

I'd love to grow out one of the C d P x DS.  The 'small pod' plants seem to do well here.  
Right now I have c. chacoense, c. galapagoense, Wild Brazil, Charapita, Datil, and
Cheiro Recife.  Anyway, I am interested in being included if you so desire.  Thanks for
the offer.

You got it buddy!  I'm always looking for more people to grow this out.  I really need to get a good shot of the yellow version plant, it is super productive.  I know you're not supposed to count your chickens before they hatch (since the seed I'll be sharing is only F3), but I think this one is really interesting.  Anything else you want to grow next year?  I have a couple of unique crosses I haven't shared yet too...

Essegi said:
Really peach bhuts are awesome! Next year i'm able to grow both them and Jay's Ghots (possibily Peach, or Red). Since if i have understood well they're not terribly prolific but tastes great i think to plant more of them than each of the rest if i have spare place. ;)

Yes, you could also try my Peach Bhut x Jay's Peach if you're interested...

Devv said:
I'm game if you have extra seeds ;)

I have an over abundance of seed... will definitely get some over to you...

Spicegeist said:

Yes, you could also try my Peach Bhut x Jay's Peach if you're interested...

Thanks, truly an appreciated offer! Not next season, i've already decided what to grow.
But for 2016 season maybe! :D Sooner or later maybe i want to learn how to isolate and cross stuff and maybe get involved. ;)

Spicegeist said:

You got it buddy!  I'm always looking for more people to grow this out.  I really need to get a good shot of the yellow version plant, it is super productive.  I know you're not supposed to count your chickens before they hatch (since the seed I'll be sharing is only F3), but I think this one is really interesting.  Anything else you want to grow next year?  I have a couple of unique crosses I haven't shared yet too...
You are way kind, buddy.  These seeds will be more than enough to boost my grow next season!

I had two yellow bhut plants this year, neither turned out how I wanted.  However, this one produces long, pretty pods, just not terribly gnarly.  I have isolated seed of this if anyone wants to try it:
15401686385_be974947af_b.jpg

Ugh, blurry, but you get the picture:
15378666276_6eb40c5334_b.jpg

For those of you interested in growing out Cumari do Para x Donne Sali (yellow version) F3, it's an incredible producer:
15401715055_0e0a81ce29_b.jpg

15215199197_d108d0eeb8_b.jpg

I was trying to hold off on any new varieties, but every time you mention those Cumari do Para X Donne Sali yellow pheno i get a little excited. What'll it cost me to get some of those? :pray:

AZ-Mason said:
I was trying to hold off on any new varieties, but every time you mention those Cumari do Para X Donne Sali yellow pheno i get a little excited. What'll it cost me to get some of those? :pray:

81c0d2b8bdacdea3b0d0667b3e599710.jpg

Just kidding, I'll send you some ;)

Vegas_Chili said:
Wow!! That CDP x Donne sali is a real stunner. I just sowed some cumari do Para yesterday and a few others. Can't wait to try these out.

-Walt

I'm so busy and lazy, but I do need to start sending this seed out... soon, soon...

Devv said:
Nice looking pods Charles!

Thank you sir...

First frost advisory, so I brought a few plants inside, probably won't keep all of these as overwinters though:
15437389611_9196e8a18b_b.jpg

Did a lot of pruning, here are some pods that were still on the plants:
15253884250_248e566382_b.jpg

Heavily pruned galapagoense:
15417521926_3e8a6ff02d_b.jpg

These get really woody, I wonder if any capsicum species grow as tree-like as brugmansias:
15440282502_37920d057d_b.jpg

Back