• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Spicegeist said:
First frost advisory, so I brought a few plants inside, probably won't keep all of these as overwinters though:
15437389611_9196e8a18b_b.jpg

Did a lot of pruning, here are some pods that were still on the plants:
15253884250_248e566382_b.jpg

Heavily pruned galapagoense:
15417521926_3e8a6ff02d_b.jpg

These get really woody, I wonder if any capsicum species grow as tree-like as brugmansias:
15440282502_37920d057d_b.jpg

Tick said:
That Cumari do Para x Donne Sali is very nice!  How old is that pruned galapagoense?   Looks very sturdy.

- Tick

Thanks Tick.  The galapagoense was grown in that 1-gallon pot all season, it's just a year old.

Essegi said:
Wow! Is already December 25? That's a Christmas tree!

Heehee, yeah... I'd like to see it in the ground in some climate where it can grow year round and see what happens...

Wow! That plant really is woody. I'm surprised you're so close to frost Charles... you must be up in the Southwest Mountains petty high. Good luck with getting in the rest of your harvest. :)

stickman said:
Wow! That plant really is woody. I'm surprised you're so close to frost Charles... you must be up in the Southwest Mountains petty high. Good luck with getting in the rest of your harvest. :)

It was just one day, I've got them back outside now...

Hi Charles. Just caught up... wow, love the glog. Certainly many different Bhut variations out there. I have always wondered about the whole origins of the label Ghost Pepper and while there are several explanations as to how this name came about, it struck me that when you get that pale lime green pre ripe phase of the Naga Kings... at a certain time of the day when light is low, they look ghostly. Another thing that came to my attention is the fact that most Bhuts are that grass green before they ripen. I wonder if the pre ripening colour is an indication of the chillis geneology. The Bhut is supposed to be an interspecies hybrid. It has both Frutescens and Chinense. This (Frutescens) in my mind would account for the pale ghostly colour. The dark green is maybe an indication that the chilli has more chinense. It is a land race chilli, so I imagine this colour variation is mostly down to geographic location and that mix. Totally out of the blue I had some seeds that were Tabsco x Naga King (Nabasco) that Rick ended up with. What a super surprise that was.

Love the Galapagoense. Thanks to you I have two seedlings growing this moment in time. I am so pumped I have these on my grow! I am also growing your Choco Bhut X Douglahs again this season. Not many chillies that have knocked the wind out of me... but those did! And the flavour is super too.

PeriPeri said:
Hi Charles. Just caught up... wow, love the glog. Certainly many different Bhut variations out there. I have always wondered about the whole origins of the label Ghost Pepper and while there are several explanations as to how this name came about, it struck me that when you get that pale lime green pre ripe phase of the Naga Kings... at a certain time of the day when light is low, they look ghostly. Another thing that came to my attention is the fact that most Bhuts are that grass green before they ripen. I wonder if the pre ripening colour is an indication of the chillis geneology. The Bhut is supposed to be an interspecies hybrid. It has both Frutescens and Chinense. This (Frutescens) in my mind would account for the pale ghostly colour. The dark green is maybe an indication that the chilli has more chinense. It is a land race chilli, so I imagine this colour variation is mostly down to geographic location and that mix. Totally out of the blue I had some seeds that were Tabsco x Naga King (Nabasco) that Rick ended up with. What a super surprise that was.

Love the Galapagoense. Thanks to you I have two seedlings growing this moment in time. I am so pumped I have these on my grow! I am also growing your Choco Bhut X Douglahs again this season. Not many chillies that have knocked the wind out of me... but those did! And the flavour is super too.

Hey Lourens, thanks for stopping by!  That thought also crossed my mind, about the pale coloration and the ghost name, but I really have no idea.  Good to hear the galapagoense are still alive, I hope they grow well for you and that you get a lot of fruit from them.  Also nice that you're growing the choco bhut x douglah, that'll be F3 then, right?  I wonder how they'll turn out.  I saw someone on FB growing them and the F2 looked almost identical to the F1...

Spicegeist said:

Hey Lourens, thanks for stopping by!  That thought also crossed my mind, about the pale coloration and the ghost name, but I really have no idea.  Good to hear the galapagoense are still alive, I hope they grow well for you and that you get a lot of fruit from them.  Also nice that you're growing the choco bhut x douglah, that'll be F3 then, right?  I wonder how they'll turn out.  I saw someone on FB growing them and the F2 looked almost identical to the F1...
A belated... HAPPY BHUT DAY Charles :) I hope you had a good day filled with love, health and happiness!! AND lots of chilli my friend ;)

You are spot on, they are now F3's :) And let me tell you if they are anything like last seasons I will be smiling from ear to ear. They are up there with the super supers I would say. Especially dried I seem to think. I have pictures posted on last years glog. And let me say this.. I don't like brown chillies - but these were superb!

F2's

IMG_5680.jpg

Hey, Charles, Happy birthday, bro!  I don't check the home page for THP 
any more, so didn't know.  Hope there is lots of heat in your next year!

That c. galapagoense should be an awesome OW plant! 

PaulG said:
Hey, Charles, Happy birthday, bro!  I don't check the home page for THP 
any more, so didn't know.  Hope there is lots of heat in your next year!

That c. galapagoense should be an awesome OW plant! 

Thanks Paul!  I'm in the planning stage for next year right now.  Very tempted to grow out some Brain Strain and TS Morouga Blend from my 2013 seed collection, just look at the inside of this Brain Strain! :fireball: :

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36978-?p=866664

I may not do any over winters like you Charles unless I get a smaller light as opposed to my 4 Foot flouro set-up. I might just get a clamp light & try to overwinter 2-3 max., because I have a couple woody over-winters from last year, similar to yours, that it would be a shame to let wither :(

Portuge said:
Here's a comparison of the two flowers from the two Queen Laurie x Yw Bhut
Doesn't look like I will be getting any peppers off of these two plants with colder weather just around the corner...

Well that's too bad.  Nice baccatum-like flower on the first one...

Thanks Charles, both plants are super huge. Didn't think the plot i sown them in would do any good this year due to the fact a pool used to sit in that spot..

Back