Spicing up Thanksgiving

I found these two recipes for adding a bit of a kick to the usual holiday meal. They sound good.

Spicy Cranberry Orange Relish

Nice departure from the same-old, sickly sweet holiday relish. Warn your guests that this isn't the sweet stuff

Ingredients
2 cups cranberries
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 large fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 oranges, segments and juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons grated fresh peeled gingerroot
1/2 cup sugar
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions
1Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
2Stir in onion, jalapeno, orange sections and juice, lime juice, ginger, sugar, and celery. Refrigerate 1 hour (up to 2 days).
3Before serving, stir in mint and pecans.

Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce

INGREDIENTS
12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sherry

DIRECTIONS
Rinse berries in cold water; drain.
In a saucepan, mix water and sugar; stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil. Add cranberries, Jalapeno peppers, and lemon juice, and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and stir well. Remove from heat and let cool completely at room temperature.
Refrigerate in a glass container with cover. Serve with turkey or chicken.

those sound good Jackie...

The cranberry is my favorite part of the meal but I like the stuff in the can not the real berries but I'm making one of these this year for sure. Thanks!

Jackie...I made both of these for the turkey day meal yesterday and both were hits with the inlaws....I especially loved the jalapeno cranberry sauce....tasted wonderful and had a good spicy taste...and it was so easy to make....the relish was good also but the sauce was definitely the hit...

thanks for sharing....

Those look Great!
I must admit though, Iwas hoping for a spicy turkey rub so that I could dream.

It would be a rare family that you could make a spicy injected turkey for!

Somebody would spoil it. Of course, you could make 2 turkeys.......hmmmm!

OK! Not trying to jack the thread, just dreaming!

1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp 7 pot powder
1 tbsp jalapeno powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 can beer (no not beer can turkey)

Brine the bird overnight (that may require it's own thread)
pat it dry with paper towels
rub the bird all over with canola
rub 2/3 of the spice mixture on the outside of the bird.
drink half the beer

dissolve the rest of the spice mixture in the remaining beer

Inject the beer into the bird, focusing on the breast, but with at least one shot in each leg.

Bake at 500 for 30 minutes to brown outside of the bird.

Insert digital thermometer in thickest part of breast and roast at 350F until internal temp hits 160F.

Sound good Cheezy and I agree with AJ, also made both and they were so good, even the non-cranberry eaters liked them. A question now, I froze pepperoncini as heat makes them soft. Froze them in pickling brine, very tasty, worked good, but my pepperoncini were fairly large as I didn't pick them soon enough..green ones are normal but my son got a red one and it was HOT! This is the one who eats bhuts and nagas, caught him by surprise as he'd been eating the green ones like regular pickles. It was funny too!! I know mean mom.

I didn't make both only the sauce. I ate this on my ham and really liked it. Couple of ppl (wife/sister-in-law) thought it was too spicy, but most ppl liked it thought it was good. I didn't think it was super spicy but very good. I would recommend it.

Back