• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Spider war

I'm losing the spider war with the wife.... There's just too many in the yard and she can't stand them.... Any recommendations on garden-safe stuff, organic or not, that will keep them away but not completely and forever?

She may eventually get used to the presence of some spiders! :lol:

spider51.jpg

It made sense when we were in socal and black widows were everywhere, but here in nc, I have 4 young garden spiders taking up residence and would prefer them to stay....

Proud Marine Dad said:
Nothing wrong with spiders. I welcome them in my garden as well as many other creatures. ;)
Even with me being allergic to spider bites, I prefer to let them stay in the garden. Admittedly, there was a bit of a spider problem back there, but I know spiders aren't gonna go on a rampage and swarm....
Or maybe they will....

I am convinced that the much larger presence of spiders in my garden this year compared to last has helped greatly with pests. The only thing I have had to deal with are the occasional little gray caterpillar eating BB-sized holes in some leaves. The two previous years aphids and broad mites reigned supreme.

I'm overrun with black widows (Latrodectus mactans) and mostly don't pay them any mind unless they're in the house.  They take care of larger pests like moths and their caterpillars.  If I see them around I leave them alone and make a mental note of where they are.  Spiders are your garden's friend.

rhm3769 said:
Even with me being allergic to spider bites, I prefer to let them stay in the garden. Admittedly, there was a bit of a spider problem back there, but I know spiders aren't gonna go on a rampage and swarm....
Or maybe they will....

Haven't you seen Arachnaphobia?  It could happen!

That's what I've always called them....

Been watching them, its funny.... They wait until the sun starts going down and then take off from the grass across the patio and to the house and hang out there.... They jump around when they try it while the sun is up, like the patio is too hot for them....
I'm fine with them as long as they stay outside and they aren't on me....
Spent 3 years stationed on Okinawa and they consider it bad luck to kill spiders, I've adopted that and will do what I have to to not kill them intentionally....

Back