• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spork's 2013 Glog - Indoor Superhots

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here, first Glog, and first attempt at growing peppers indoors.

Start Date: Saturday 11/02/13

I currently have:
7x Ghost Pepper
4x Scorpion
3x Reaper
4x Some sort of thai ornamental
9x Habanero (Red and Golden varieties)

11/02/13:
Soak seeds in dilute H2O2 mixture with added KNO3. (approx 1 tbsp H2O2 and 1/4 tbsp KNO3 per cup of water)
Expand coir overnight with boiling water in a bucket.
IMG_9930.jpg

11/03/13:
Prepare 'starter mix':
   Remove coco coir from water and squeeze out excess (one handful at a time).
   Add fine vermiculite in approx 6:1 ratio by volume and mix.
   Add a bit of water back in if necessary. I use a 'squeeze test', if you can squeeze out 5-6 drops with moderate force, you have enough water.
   No other ingredients were added to soil.
Note: Don't go squeezing all of that vermiculite, you will compress it and it will be less useful.
The result is a very loose medium with a sandy texture that will hold moisture for several days in a mini-greenhouse. Great for starting seeds.
IMG_9895.jpg

Pot seeds in mini-greenhouse with bottom heat.
IMG_9905.jpg

11/04/13:
Found soil temp at 90*F, a bit warm. Adjust bottom heat to shut off every 4 hours 45 minutes for a 30 minute cool-down.

11/05/13:
Check soil temp 24 hours after adjustment, soil stable at 84*F.
Note: 3 Ghost peppers are hooking.

11/06/13:
The ghost of pepper past gave me 5 hooks this morning. These things are great!
Also have 3 Thai, 2 habanero and 2 scorpions showing now.

Future:
Lighting setup will consist of 4 ballasts with two 24W T5 bulbs each. These bulbs are only 2 feet in length for a smaller footprint in my apartment. All bulbs are at 3000k for vegetation, will swap for 6500k for fruiting to experiment.

Will add pictures when I get a chance, nothing too interesting so far anyhow.

Update [03.23.2014]
My reapers are just over 2 feet tall now, but they still haven't given me any pods, but they have huge canopies and are throwing flowers out left and right.
Two of my Thai's put out their first pods this weekend.
My mystery pepper has two fully ripe (red) peppers.
I've got three bell peppers and a one that I thought was a bell, but actually looks like a bhut as it has grown out.
17 of the 24 (70%) that I started last month ended up sprouting, but that 30% failure accounted for two varieties not coming up at all: Primos and Datils. I replanted both and had them both come up this weekend (2 Datil, 1 Primo so far).

This puts me at 20 seedlings. The first 9 have their second set of leaves and are working on their third, I will be potting them up to 4" pots and putting them outside soon.

Rymerpt said:
Our weather in Sac has been great. My seedlings have been outside for a good week now and are lovin it. I asume your weather has been good as well?
Weather has been awesome here. ~75-85*F and sunny every day.

Spork said:
Weather has been awesome here. ~75-85*F and sunny every day.

Of course I curse myself with this statement. It has been cold (60*F, not real cold) and drizzling the last couple days. They don't seem to mind much though.

Time for some cell phone pictures:

IMG_20140324_204514.jpg

IMG_20140324_205144.jpg

Spork said:
Of course I curse myself with this statement. It has been cold (60*F, not real cold) and drizzling the last couple days. They don't seem to mind much though.

Time for some cell phone pictures:

IMG_20140324_204514.jpg

IMG_20140324_205144.jpg
WOW great shots with that cell. Those look tastey.

Back