• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Spots on Poblano.

I bought some Poblano seeds from Pine tree seeds last year.
Out of 5 plants 2 were hit with pods that turned red & had green spots.
I cut the 2 plants out due to a complete lack of vigor & the spots on the ripening pods.

Out of the 3 left 2 plants have nice clear red pods & other one has chocolate pods aka, Poblano Mulato Isleno.

I really believe I should throw out all the so called Heirloom Poblano seed I have collected, it's a mess.

Before I toss all my Poblano seeds.
Does anyone know what this may be? Not necrosis, it's green spots like green pox on a red background.

Got any pics, Marturo? I really like mulato isleno. Would hate to see you throw that one away. :)

Any other pepper I would have, @CaneDog however the Poblanos were not what they seemed.
No excuse, just stuffed every green, red, & brown Poblano & froze them & tossed the spotted ones.

I have really only have 2 plants I feel good about saving seed from, the Poblano & the Mulato Isleno.

1666030034939.png

I found this pic in a search, of peppers with spots however this is not the way it looks, the spots are green & not a sore or black spot.

The one Pablano & one Mulato Isleno both look great & have large pods & really healthy plants.

Last edited:
I found this pic in a search, of peppers with spots however this is not the way it looks, the spots are green & not a sore or black spot.

Other than their smaller size pods & green , not black spots they look like a normal pod.
The plants were smaller than the other Poblanos & did not show the same vigor of the 4' plants with great pods.

If this is a pepper illness, I can't find anything online about it.

My fault for not taking pictures, sorry.
The peppers with green spots were enjoyed by my Golden Retriever , Bella LOL.

I would never feed Bella anything moldy or diseased, these were just ugly peppers red with green spots.

This is the last pics I have of the 2 pods I saved for seed.

Sadly this is mirror image of the Pic I first posted from an online photo.

Unless I read otherwise, the seeds are in the compost, not for planting.
The plant was the largest Poblano at 52" & loaded with pods.

I can't find an exact reason for this as we were dry for weeks in Sept
& I watered every other day. I just want to know what it is & how to prevent it in future.

Thanks for all your help so far, perhaps with some pics we can find out what it is.

1666188719005.png

1666189333535.png

1666189390273.png

1666189488927.png

Jeez, those spots do look ugly. I'd throw everything in the trash rather than the compost.

I feel like I've seen pictures like that when looking up pepper diseases in the past, but I'd be reluctant to guess at what I remember. I did quickly google "spots on pepper fruit" and found this (on a tomato) - link I wouldn't presume to say I think that's what it is - even when I've take apparently diseased plants to the university they put it under a microscope before they opine - but I usually think better safe than sorry.

Jeez, those spots do look ugly. I'd throw everything in the trash rather than the compost.

I feel like I've seen pictures like that when looking up pepper diseases in the past, but I'd be reluctant to guess at what I remember. I did quickly google "spots on pepper fruit" and found this (on a tomato) - link I wouldn't presume to say I think that's what it is - even when I've take apparently diseased plants to the university they put it under a microscope before they opine - but I usually think better safe than sorry.
I agree @CaneDog .
It's curious how you watch a You tube video & some guys find a pepper with a hole or spots & say, " I'll save this one for seed".

Me I say, save the seed from my best disease free pods.

Too bad the plant was a real Amazon queen, with a large load of pods.

Seems like I need to find some good Poblano seeds this winter. :)

I tend to agree with @Bou, looks like it could very well be stink bug bites. Did you have any stink bugs this year? Also, if this is a "prize" plant, I wouldn't be afraid to save seeds. I'd give them a h2o2 soak prior to germinating, and maybe plant them in a pot to keep them isolated. Or.....not, lol.

I tend to agree with @Bou, looks like it could very well be stink bug bites. Did you have any stink bugs this year? Also, if this is a "prize" plant, I wouldn't be afraid to save seeds. I'd give them a h2o2 soak prior to germinating, and maybe plant them in a pot to keep them isolated. Or.....not, lol.
This was indeed a prize pepper plant, however as much as I wanted to save seed for Poblano, this was not the seed I expected from
Pine tree seeds aka. superseeds.com. Out of five plants grown, I got one Poblano that grew well & had red spotted pods & one Mulato Isleno that I never ordered. Sounds more like an Amazon seed order LOL. :shocked:

I think for now I will keep seed from the Mulato Isleno, & find some new seeds for the Poblano.
So in the end, we must just give thanks to the pepper God & except each pod as they come.
Get a load Of this guy LOL.

1666279618561.png

This was indeed a prize pepper plant, however as much as I wanted to save seed for Poblano, this was not the seed I expected from
Pine tree seeds aka. superseeds.com. Out of five plants grown, I got one Poblano that grew well & had red spotted pods & one Mulato Isleno that I never ordered. Sounds more like an Amazon seed order LOL. :shocked:

I think for now I will keep seed from the Mulato Isleno, & find some new seeds for the Poblano.
So in the end, we must just give thanks to the pepper God & except each pod as they come.
Get a load Of this guy LOL.

1666279618561.png
Devilish looking fruit😈

At least one of the bigger blotches (left pepper) looks like it has some softness associated with it. Are the spots causing the peppers to go bad or it the softness unrelated?
No softness however the spots go into the pod.
Out of over forty plants none of the other varieties have this problem.

I use Poblano Rojo for stuffing, roasting, & making Ancho Rojo.

Disappointed Sad Girl GIF by Jon Hanlan

i feel like i have seen this on occasion on bell peppers in the grocery store, which makes me wonder if it is not any kind of disease or deficiency, but rather some issue with the chlorophyll just not breaking down or exiting as quickly in those spots as it ripens.

that is, as long as these spots "remained" and are the same colour from the unripe pepper. if they appeared on formerly red areas, obviously this theory goes out the window.

also, i am no expert, this is just conjecture i'm giving you.

Back