• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sprouting: Red Savina vs. Bhut Jolokia

On 12/26 I sowed 30 Bhut Jolokia seeds. Exactly one week later, 50 Red Savina. Both were in the same type of potting soil, both wetted the same, stuck on the same type of heat source, both placed in my grow box as soon as the first seed germinated (1/5 for the Bhut, 1/9 for the Savina).

So far, 18 Bhuts have showed their tops, 19 Savinas. I'm not surprised by the Bhuts - everyone says they are hard to germinate and it has only been a bit over two weeks. Plus, in the last two days, 10 of the 18 have sprouted. But I'm somewhat surprised at the Savinas - all but four or five showed up yesterday or today.

Is this normal for the pepper?

Mike

Mike...I didn't start keeping records until my first big seed planting last january...

As I recall, the Red Savinas planted the middle of december popped within a week or so

Bhuts from CPI: 5 seeds planted, 2 in 10 days, 1 in 11 days, 1 in 12, and 1 in 13 for 100% germination...

No way I'll match that, AJ, as I'm up to Day 18 already. My plants are slow to germinate, at least since the temps fell to the bottom of the tube. I was more surprised how well the Savina was doing.

Mike

I grew two savinas last year and gave 3 away....the savinas were a producing machine up until the first freeze...the heat is great and so is the taste IMO....and I think the pods are pretty too...

My Savinas also were great producers, so many in fact that some of the limbs snapped from the weight. And the pepper maggot flies do not like them.

Dale

I planted 4 Savina seeds - 2 have just sprouted in 9 days. Of the 6 Bhut seeds, none have come through yet. All in rockwool with a heat mat.

In the last couple of days, the Bhuts have gone ballistic. I have about 29 out of the 30 seeds either through the ground or working on it. That's more than what I was willing to be thrilled with.

Mike

savinas appear to be realy easy to grow. I have had around 95% germination for them. My Bhuts so far are around 80% which I still consider to be good after all the difficulties I have read about them. The plants seem to grow slower than the others but they are gonna do just fine I believes ;)

On a side note my Thai Hots and Scotch Bonnets have had 100% germination! I planted far more of those than I will need. I am already giving some of them away LOL

Back