• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sprouts

Some of my plants have more than one sprout. I have read to remove the extra ones. My question is do I really have to and why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you indicating that more than one seed germinated of multiple seeds planted in the same containers?
If that is the case, you have read instructions to remove them because at maturity, both or more plants will be competing for the same root space, nutrients, water and light. One plant per container is optimal for the highest output of fruit and the healthiest plants all around.

mikeyd1016 said:
Some of my plants have more than one sprout. I have read to remove the extra ones. My question is do I really have to and why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
If you have just two sprouts per pot it's not a big deal. You may even end up with more pods depending on the plant.

You don't want to bunch them though, they don't like orgies.

If you mean you planted more than 1 seed per cell and more than one sprouted, I like to wait until you get a few true pair of leaves then determine if I remove or separate. For me it depends on if others did not sprout. A good example for me, I plant for cells of X  species but only 3 cells have sprouts, one cell has two sprouts. I'll seperate then end up with 4 as planned. 

Also - it is much easier to separate them while still just sprouts if there are several - the longer they grow the more the roots will wind around each other making separation without damage harder - so if planning to separate the earlier you get it done the better !

Here's a video that shows how to separate them using a bowl of water (see approx. 5-6 minutes in) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D00-nAKvHi8

I have multiple containers going with more than 1 plant. I used to frown on this so I would sow one seed to one container. In situations where a high % of germinations fail I would be left with a lot of plant- less containers. I have as of this year modified my growing procedures. I plant 4 seeds per container and leave them grow til I am ready to plant separate containers. Then, rather than disrupt the root systems of multiple plants, I cut below the media level the plants selected for extending the crop and place them in a cloner. Within a week I have good root system starting and ready to plant out in two weeks. This frees up considerable room and my grow can be increased at will.

Back